Building a Reef Light How Do I 

timon4

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok so, I decided I want to build my own light for my 30 gallon tank, it contains live rock, live sand, etc. i have a compact light on it right now, but I want to build a metal halide or something. I dont really know what to do though, so if anyone has a website, or another forum, or have done it them selves I'd love some help. thanks

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi timon, welcome Fishlore

You could try searching the DIY forums here at fishlore, or have a look at

I just have a question relating to why you want a new fixture? I'm no salty expert, but my understanding is that your CF should be fine unless you're wanting to grow/keep corals, which require specific lighting.

Also, rather than the more expensive MH lighting, you could look at T5 HO lighting, for which you can still get the actinic bulbs for that 'blue' effect.

outlaw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How much diy are you looking to do? There is all kinds of stuff out there depending on the specs you are looking for. If money isn't a big concern for up front cost. LED's look fairly promising (up to 50,000hrs life span).

One of many
https://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1587273

compuphones

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Timon 4 although this is a greate forum you will be lucky to get any real help on this subject,

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads