Building a new 55 gallon-stocking ideas?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by MissCap, Jun 27, 2016.

1. MissCap

MissCap Valued Member Member

My parents got me a 55 gallon tank at an auction. The tank isn't terrible, but the lights and whole top frame is disgusting. I am currently trying to clean those off, but 100 degree days are making this process super slow.

At first we thought it was a 50 gallon, but after taking the measurements, we found out it was a 55 gallon. Won't complain that I get an extra 5 gallons! The weirs thing is, is that this tank came with 4 hood lights and 3 filters (Tetra brand with the double sides for 30-60 gallons). Should I try to clean those off or buy a new one? Should I use just one? The heater was broken so I will be buying a new one.

It came with a black stand that needed painted. Hubby spray painted it, but the paint bubbles! Ugh. Now I have to sand the whole stinking thing. The stand is probably only 2 feet high which I think is really low. The top of it comes to my knees. Why so low??

Anyways, I am already thinking of stocking ideas even though it will be awhile. I don't think I will attempt live plants yet, although I would like to later. Here are some I was thinking about:

Platys
    Gourami
    Tiger barbs
    Neon tetras
    Corys
    Pleco
    Zebra danios

I obviously know not all of these will go together. I just like those particular fish. Which fish go best together and how many? Are any of them more difficult than others? I will try to post a pic of my tank.

2. l

lol Valued Member Member

I feel like the tiger barbs will cause issues for the tetras and danios and possibly the slower-moving Gourami.

3. tfreema

tfreema Fishlore VIP Member

Neon tetras and certain cories require lower temperatures than the average tropical fish.

Maybe test the filters out to see how well they work. Look up the gallons per hour they process. You need at least 550gph.

There is so much you can do with a 55 gallon. What is your experience level? Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? If not, read about it and fishless cycling in links below.

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...9627-ammonia-instructions-fishless-cycle.html

Have fun with your project!

4. OP
    OP
    MissCap

MissCap Valued Member Member

I had a 29 gallon tank about 8 years ago as a teenager. I don't think I really did a great job with it. I failed at frequent water changes and I don't even think I cycled the tank.

This time I really want to get it right. I am currently cycling a 10 gallon with TSS and two guppies. I ordered API freshwater master ltest kit and it should be here this week. I will be cycling my 55 gallon.

I was wondering if the tiger barbs would be too nippy. What fish do they work with?

5. tfreema

tfreema Fishlore VIP Member

There is a compatibility chart on this site I have seen others refer to. Not sure how to find it, but you could google too. I have not kept barbs because of the nippy nature so they don't fit into any of my tanks. I like them, but the adding tanks thing had got to stop somewhere, lol.

As far as what fish to get, decide which are your favorite and build on that. I have 2 species of mbuna African cichlids in my 55 with synodontis catfish and a bristle nose pleco.

Before that I had 2 leopard Ctenopoma, 1 black red tail shark, kribs, emerald cories, and queen loach Dario botia that got moved to the 120g.

So many options for a 55g.........

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice