Building A Moat?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My neighbor behind me is driving me nuts. For some reason they think my backyard is their backyard. 150 feet of it borders my yard. What would it take to build a moat and stock it with piranhas? Im feeling spiteful so at this point i will sink a bunch of money into this. Also i have a backhoe so i can go 7 feet deep if needed.

Iverg1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Try building a fence first and lining it with barbed wire then we can talk about more extreme measures. Those extreme measures I (not expert just googled)would dig down 3 feet and across 4 feet maybe line with concrete(?) add sand on bottom add plants check parameters add fish feed. Maybe small gator pond(?) if that doesn’t work

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m all for crocs or gators! Love both. Faster than piranha too. Plus they can wander around the property and take care of any stragglers.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i need a permit for gators. Lol. I looked into a fence with guard towers but thats really expensive and needs to be 20 feet from the property line. A lined trench with goldfish would probably be enough but piranhas would be cooler. I have been looking into the propane heaters for pools.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
david1978 said:
i need a permit for gators. Lol. I looked into a fence with guard towers but thats really expensive and needs to be 20 feet from the property line. A lined trench with goldfish would probably be enough but piranhas would be cooler. I have been looking into the propane heaters for pools.
I know my sarassas would make short work of them! But you’re right, the piranhas would be totally cool!

Iverg1 said:
Have you considered other animals besides fish?
Hmmmm... a boat load of fire ants? I’ve got plenty!

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Keep in mind the straw that broke the camels back was Wednesday when my jack russel that was on a chain in my front yard got a hold of one of his chickens in my front yard and he called the state police. Today his children broke my window with a football since he doesn't want them playing close to his house. But close to mine i guess is ok.

Mike1995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
maybe make a pond full of salmon. Then step two, get a grizzly bear. Step three, get the neighbors to go fishing in your pond. Step four, alert the bear that your neighbors are stealing his lunch. Step 5, bear chases neighbors and then they never leave the house ever again. Step 6, make the bear go live on the neighbors property so you don't get in trouble for illegally owning a wild animal.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The bear part is easy. Lol. Last fall one tore into his chicken fence and ate all 8 of his chickens. We put all our scraps out for him as well as the neighbor behind him. He keeps calling the game commission and they basically laugh at him. We live in the middle of the largest state game lands in Pennsylvania what does he expect would happen.

Iverg1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh ok that’s realistic then I suggest a grizzly and a grizzly cub as the grizzlys are really protective of cubs

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Unfortunately we dont have grizzly bears. Im just at my wits ends with them. Last year i was fixing my drain field for my septic, within 2 days the township was knocking on my door and i had to replace my whole system. He has accused me of giving his kid asthma since my chimney is at the back of my house, which he also burned wood to heat his house so since asthma doesn't work that way its truly an insult. If i do anything on the outside of my house he calls the township to see if i have gotten a permit. Originally he got a mortgage for the house but failed in life so his dad took over the mortgage and now its in his dads name so he is simply a renter. I only know he calls the township since i used to work with the township supervisor and he calls me so we can have a good laugh.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
david1978 said:
Unfortunately we dont have grizzly bears. Im just at my wits ends with them. Last year i was fixing my drain field for my septic, within 2 days the township was knocking on my door and i had to replace my whole system. He has accused me of giving his kid asthma since my chimney is at the back of my house, which he also burned wood to heat his house so since asthma doesn't work that way its truly an insult. If i do anything on the outside of my house he calls the township to see if i have gotten a permit. Originally he got a mortgage for the house but failed in life so his dad took over the mortgage and now its in his dads name so he is simply a renter. I only know he calls the township since i used to work with the township supervisor and he calls me so we can have a good laugh.
Ok. This dude is over the hill nuts! Have a few of them myself. My neighbor's dog killed their own chicken in my back yard and called the police on me for cruelty to animals. Luckily I know the sheriff and he called the neighbor crazy. Then fined them for animals at large. They finally moved.
If they hadn’t, I’m afraid the most thing would be a working idea. I’m sorry you’ve got to put up with this. Oh, and I have severe asthma. It came with my genes. They’re idiots! Get some bee hives. Lots n lots of bee hives!

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Love the idea of bee hives but my daughter swells up like a balloon if she gets stung so id like to stay away from that. Lol. Currently neither of them have jobs so i guess they haven't anything better to do. If they quit doing drugs atleast one of them could have a job but since thats more important neither have a job very long. Iys sad child protective services has taken their kids twice but they get them back. So is it wrong to wish to wish that both would od?

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Crazy neighbors suck. Serious advice:

Put up no trespassing signs. (Without any threats in them. )

Install cameras in places that will document incidents, also at the most common points of tresspass.

Document every trespass: date, time, brief, unemotional language.

Have a cease and desist letter drafted by a lawyer, and sent certified mail.

If your neighbor or animals cause property damage, file police reports. If the damage is worth the trouble, take him to small claims court.

Don't let him steamroll you.

(Your insurance company would probably frown upon a moat due to liability, but good fences do make for better neighbors . Just be sure to get a survey done first, so it is definitely on your side of the property line.)

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the problem with a fence is it has to be 20 feet from the property line and my backyard is only 15 feet so a fence would have to be further than my house is. I can legally have a fish pond up to the property line as there is no ordnance for that. They have cost me $5000 at this point so another $2-3 thousand is not out of range.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom