building a fiddler crab tank!

Discussion in 'Brackish Tanks Forum' started by monkeypie102, Jan 11, 2013.

1. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Okay so today we were heading home from the hospital when my brother noticed a fish tank on the side of the road with a stand... my brother pulled over and we picked it up... it has a bunch of stuff inside of it but it will be replaced with my stuff as god only knows what was in it... anyways mom wanted a fiddler crab tank not to long ago and my brother and i were planning to star her one! Looks like we have our tank decided on haha...going to fill it with water tonight and check for leaks... anyways I had some questions... this is a pentgon shapped tank... my brother is estamating its a 40g can someone tell me what it really is? 36 1/2"(l)x16"(h)x15 1/2"(w)... being a pentagon does that change the gallons?

Edit: forgot to add a picture... it is sideways so sorry about that...
    IMG_20130111_153017.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  2. throwthesandValued MemberMember

Might be a 30-40 gallon but hard to tell from that angle...

3. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Yeah thats why I included the mesurments... not sure how to do a good angle picture :/

Any who we just got back from the worst restaurant ever and decided to start cleaning this tank... starting with removing the 3 lines of hard water tossing the rocking and testing for leaks... fun night for me!

4. CodyJValued MemberMember

Sounds fun indeed why can't I find fish tanks like you did you are so lucky

5. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Haha yeah pretty random! I was going to buy the half moon tank my mom found at the pet store but this one she said she liked more so a fiddler tank it shall become! The current plan is 3 males and 6 females and a group of ghost shrimp :)

The tank is finally clean! I just need to wipe it out with like a fish safe bacteria killing solution clean the hood and I will dub it crab safe! After i buy a new light and at least 200w heater...

6. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Tank no leaks! Totally happy about this! After i clean it with bleach and a couple good rinses I will be ready to start this tank! I am excited! Btw... should i go rimles or keep the top? In the end it is up to my mom (as the tank is a gift to her) but i want some opinions so i can present an argument :)
    IMG_20130111_234131.jpg

Rimless
    1358017807103.jpg
    With a hood

I like both and both have advantages and disadvantages

7. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

So as it turns out I have total control now so long as it is not Rimless :) so hood it is haha.... I plan to have the tank setup island style... right in the middle I am going g to lay base rock (unless live rock can survive 1.010 SG then that would be epic! Anyways it will be about 1' long and a few inches out of the water... the very center I plan to place sand so they will be able to dig and some plants as well, so far the only above ground brackish plant I can think of/have is mangroves but i would like something else (ideas?) I was 2 power head pushing water onto the land area so it is always moist, may get wavemakers so the flow is random. Also are there any brackish fish that stay on the small side I can add but won't easily become crab chow or make the crabs dinner? I like mollies but even I don't like the that much... besides I doubt I would have enough water to make 1 happy... I plan to fill the tank half way and make the land about 2" above water level... I was thinking of buying a few arch or fish but i have no clue about their diet as in the wild they like to shoot water at insects (which would be epic to see in person) anyways I am also going to buy about 30 ghost shrimp which will be an added clean up crew and food for crabs fast enough :) though the tank will be fully planted (all the plants I have can be switched to brackish with some acclimations btw how long would that be/should that tank for plants?) Also for sand would live sand be okay to use will it still live in the SG I listed before or would that be pointles... I may just buy aragonite (I keep spelling hat wrong) and just use that for the tank instead... I was thinking 40lbs would be good!

Also are there any brackish snails that I could add besides nerites? I would like to find one that can turn the sand and breed farely easy kind of like MTS! I am sure I will think of more random things to say/add I can't sleep so i have been thinking about my saltwater tank and now this brackishwater tank :/ lol I have one of each kind running now! Go me!!!

8. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

So mom didn't listen to me and bought 2 red claw crabs and 3 ghosts before i have the correct heater and the water cycled.... so far they sem fine but i need to keep an eye on them as I don't know much about these little guys... she wants to get 8 more..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice