Bugs in my tank XP

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Gordinian, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Well everybody, this is why you quarantine plants! I've been dealing with what I think are copepods ever since I got some new plants for my 20 gallon long divided betta tank. I understand that they aren't necessarily a bad thing, but I think they're disgusting and want them gone. There are also some other kind of bug like thing that I can quite ID.

So how do I get rid of them? I've thought about draining the tank, but then there'd be four bettas that don't have anywhere to go. I also thought about putting something in the tank that would kill inverts, but I've also got a few ramshorns and mts I'm trying to breed. I could try to grab as many as I can and put them in my cichlid grow out tank, with red empresses that are about an inch long, I'd just be worried about them getting eaten. I'd be worth it, though, if it got rid of these nasty bugs.

Opinions? I'm open to just about anything at this point- I just had to destroy my betta's bubble nest because it was infested with little bugs XP

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

If you saved the cups the bettas came in, you could put them back in the cups and just drain the tank and let it dry.

3. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

At first you will see an explosion in population in the beginning then their population will stabilize and die off naturally.

1. You can do regular or more water changes to reduce the population by siphoning them out.
    2. Another method is do a complete tear down of your tank.
    3. Fish frys are natural predators for copepods.

I personally wouldn't use chemicals to treat the infestation

4. OP
    OP
    Gordinian

I've had some of these bettas for at least a year, and have thrown away most of the cups. I've still got one or two lying around though, and I could put the rest in a couple vases/small fish bowls I sometimes use in my tanks.

How long would I have to let the tank dry? I think that no matter what I do, there'll still be a bit of extra water under the gravel that they'd be able to swim around in for a while.

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Haha, have you thought about switching to sand? This would be a good opportunity :)

6. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

There's really nothing wrong with copepods. Some people actually want them in their tanks, as some fish eat them almost exclusively. They're a sign of a healthy tank. :) I wouldn't do anything about them. (If they are copepods, of course.)

7. OP
    OP
    Gordinian

I've tried sand before and wasn't a big fan. Then again it was in my 55 gallon cichlid tank, where they'd always dig up the sand and end up burying their poo- very messy, and I found it hard to clean. Maybe it's just me though!

I know, but they're creeping me out XD There are also some other bugs floating around too, and I'm not sure what they are.

I think I'll drain the tank, then stick it outside in the cold for a couple hours- will that be long enough?

8. OP
    OP
    Gordinian

What should I do with the filter media? I've seen a few critters in my filter (HOB), so I feel like I should stick the media outside too, but I don't want to lost my cycle.

Sorry, one more question- they won't hang on to my (live) plants will they? I'd like to put these into my grow-out tank as the 20 long is drying.

9. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I don't think there is any way to ensure the critters are dead and ensure you don't lose the cycle. Also I would assume they would hitchhike on the plants.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice