Bug(s) Infesting Aquarium

LHanna61

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
HelllllOOOOO Everyone--
I have three tanks (5, 10, 30)
My 5 gallon which is only housing 4 snails and a pregnant blue rili shrimp is infested with (what seems to be) bugs.

THEY'RE EVERYWHERE! ...

I have identified 2 of the 3 (I think) accurately as being copepods and planaria. I can't tell what the third is though-- it looks almost like a spider and I happened to be watching when one of my snails "walked" over to it and when it got close it retreated to it's shell. Actually just noticing in the picture that it attached a "web" string to the snail.

So with that, I have read that copepods are beneficial to an aquarium and will eventually die off as the tank gets more established (yes the tank is cycled and has been for maybe two months now?)

Can you help me identify the spider things and confirm the other two are what I think they are?

Also note: I have no substrate in this tank at the moment.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Correct(cyclopse female with eggs congratulations), correct, and hydra(kinda bad)

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hydra (spider looking one), get that out, they sting. And there’s probably more.

JessicaSwanlake

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think the second one looks more like a detritus worm than planaria, but those are definitely hydra.
Don't touch the hydra to remove them because if they are damaged at all they will just turn into more hydra (like the mythological hydra). They are probably stinging your snail which is why it would retreat. While hydra won't usually kill them outright they can cause bacterial infections and will certainly kill baby shrimp.
I would recommend treating with fenbendazole or planaria zero since you probably don't want to move your shrimp.

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Really, due to your tank size and limited stocking, it might be your best bet to remove your shrimp and snails and heat the tank to about 104 for a few hours.(look into heat treatment for hydra) You could also go @JessicaSwanlake's route and dose chems to kill them, but you might want to remove your snails for that at any rate.

LHanna61

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hydras. Mean little stinging shots. They kill really small fish and inverts. Hard to get rid of, but food for larger fish. Mollies, swordtails, cichlids and such will eat them.
I have some tetras I could put in there, would that get rid of them?

JessicaSwanlake

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Really, due to your tank size and limited stocking, it might be your best bet to remove your shrimp and snails and heat the tank to about 104 for a few hours.(look into heat treatment for hydra) You could also go @JessicaSwanlake's route and dose chems to kill them, but you might want to remove your snails for that at any rate.
Oh yes, definitely remove the snails either way! Forgot to add that. You probably don't want to move the shrimp though as she might molt and lose her eggs.

LHanna61

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think the second one looks more like a detritus worm than planaria, but those are definitely hydra.
Don't touch the hydra to remove them because if they are damaged at all they will just turn into more hydra (like the mythological hydra). They are probably stinging your snail which is why it would retreat. While hydra won't usually kill them outright they can cause bacterial infections and will certainly kill baby shrimp.
I would recommend treating with fenbendazole or planaria zero since you probably don't want to move your shrimp.
I'm just worried that these are also in my other tanks-- I think they might at least be in my 10 gallon. My 30 is super clear of them (for now) but I think it came from a plant I recently got and didn't quarantine, like an idiot.

If I use either of those products, are they harmful to snails? Do hydra hide in substrate (again, worried about my 10 gallon as well)

Tetras are too tiny. The stings will hurt them.
Of course haha, that would be TOO easy.
I have minnows and danios in my 30 so they must have kept them at bay in that tank.
And I have a betta with the tetra so he probably ate them from that tank as well?

Last edited by a moderator:

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have minnows and danios in my 30 so they must have kept them at bay in that tank.
And I have a betta with the tetra so he probably ate them from that tank as well?
Those are all possible. I know mollies and gourami are 2 that most claim will eat them. It's a maybe with the other fish. I have a betta and rams in a tank with hydra and they don't seem to be doing much. Pond snails will eat them too, but that's a new pest lol.

LHanna61

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh yes, definitely remove the snails either way! Forgot to add that. You probably don't want to move the shrimp though as she might molt and lose her eggs.
Honestly, I'm okay if the shrimp loses the eggs. She was left in a tank (didn't know she existed in there) and I added yellow shrimp and she bred with them. So that's why I only have that one shrimp in there-- I was waiting it out haha. SO it wouldn't be the worst thing.

JessicaSwanlake

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm just worried that these are also in my other tanks-- I think they might at least be in my 10 gallon. My 30 is super clear of them (for now) but I think it came from a plant I recently got and didn't quarantine, like an idiot.

If I use either of those products, are they harmful to snails? Do hydra hide in substrate (again, worried about my 10 gallon as well)
Sorry, I wasn't clear earlier: if you decide to use meds you would need to move your snails.
I don't know if tetras could eat them without being hurt, but pond snails will definitely eat hydra if you happen to have any of those around or know someone who has a few to get rid of.

LHanna61

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay, thank you everyone-- I will relocate the snails and shrimp from the 5 gallon and dose the 10 gallon with planaria meds.

Appreciate the help!

Faytaya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yup. Was probably him.

LHanna61

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry, I wasn't clear earlier: if you decide to use meds you would need to move your snails.
I don't know if tetras could eat them without being hurt, but pond snails will definitely eat hydra if you happen to have any of those around or know someone who has a few to get rid of.
So I just cleaned my 10 gallon and I only saw one hydra (I'm SURE there's more) and I saw some worms-- I sucked up at least three with my siphon. With that, suppose I want to only treat my 10 gallon for the worms right now. Can I use hydrogen peroxide for this so I don't have to remove any of the fish? I've seen this method tossed around a couple times on other forums and in the bajillion YouTube videos I watch. Thoughts?

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I just cleaned my 10 gallon and I only saw one hydra (I'm SURE there's more) and I saw some worms-- I sucked up at least three with my siphon. With that, suppose I want to only treat my 10 gallon for the worms right now. Can I use hydrogen peroxide for this so I don't have to remove any of the fish? I've seen this method tossed around a couple times on other forums and in the bajillion YouTube videos I watch. Thoughts?
I use H2O2 to treat for hydra because it doesn't harm my earthworms. I'm sure it would in larger doses tho. But it will also crash your cycle and you probably have hydra in your filter.

LHanna61

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Anyone try Panacure C (for dogs)? -- that seems the most promising to me at the moment. Not as harsh for the fish. I looked into the fenbendazole and since we are saying these are detritus worms, the reviews said neither of these will work on them. Pancacure C has been said to kill off worms and be harmless to shrimp and fish.

Thoughts?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom