Bug Larva? What Is This I Found?

Twinkle

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I found this swimming for the top in my 75 gallon with 20 pygmy corydora and one mystery snail. What is it? This is under magnification with my microscope. This photo is for scale. It is tiny. I think it has wings and legs. Should I be alarmed?20190414_200951.jpg 20190414_195301.jpg 20190414_200929.jpg

Jellibeen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know what it is exactly, but there's no need for concern. It shouldn't do any harm to your fish or snail. It could be a dragonfly or damselfly larvae, which are predatory but will not hurt any of your critters unless you have fry or shrimp.

OP
Twinkle

Twinkle

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Jellibeen said:
I don't know what it is exactly, but there's no need for concern. It shouldn't do any harm to your fish or snail. It could be a dragonfly or damselfly larvae, which are predatory but will not hurt any of your critters unless you have fry or shrimp.
Thank you, that makes me feel better! There might be fry but I try to move the fry to my 10 gallon and am not too concerned about the ones I miss in the 75 gallon. Thank you!

bitseriously

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It appears to be some kind of fly larvae or pupae. (Very) likely either a mosquito or midge.
Unless I’m way off on id, it’s harmless.

OP
Twinkle

Twinkle

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
bitseriously said:
It appears to be some kind of fly larvae or pupae. (Very) likely either a mosquito or midge.
Unless I’m way off on id, it’s harmless.
I just wanted to let you know you were right! They are midges. I found a few adults floating on the top of my water. Then yesterday in my ten gallon fry tank I saw brown worm looking things covering every surface suddenly! They were on every leaf but they were not moving. I poked one and a tiny worm came out. I looked at it under my microscope and it was a midge larva. The brown tubes are homes they make out of detritus. Fascinating. When my fry get a little bigger I'm sure they will eat them all up!

Attachments

New Threads