Bug Larva? What Is This I Found?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Twinkle, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Twinkle

TwinkleNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +19
    Experience:
    2 years
    I found this swimming for the top in my 75 gallon with 20 pygmy corydora and one mystery snail. What is it? This is under magnification with my microscope. This photo is for scale. It is tiny. I think it has wings and legs. Should I be alarmed? 20190414_200951.20190414_195301.20190414_200929.

2. Jellibeen

JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +954
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I don't know what it is exactly, but there's no need for concern. It shouldn't do any harm to your fish or snail. It could be a dragonfly or damselfly larvae, which are predatory but will not hurt any of your critters unless you have fry or shrimp.

3. OP
    OP
    Twinkle

TwinkleNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +19
    Experience:
    2 years
    Thank you, that makes me feel better! There might be fry but I try to move the fry to my 10 gallon and am not too concerned about the ones I miss in the 75 gallon. Thank you!

4. bitseriously

bitseriouslyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,322
    Experience:
    1 year
    It appears to be some kind of fly larvae or pupae. (Very) likely either a mosquito or midge.
    Unless I’m way off on id, it’s harmless.

5. OP
    OP
    Twinkle

TwinkleNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +19
    Experience:
    2 years
    I just wanted to let you know you were right! They are midges. I found a few adults floating on the top of my water. Then yesterday in my ten gallon fry tank I saw brown worm looking things covering every surface suddenly! They were on every leaf but they were not moving. I poked one and a tiny worm came out. I looked at it under my microscope and it was a midge larva. The brown tubes are homes they make out of detritus. Fascinating. When my fry get a little bigger I'm sure they will eat them all up!

Attached Files:

Become a Fishlore Member