Buffers Vs Ph Adjusters? (chemistry)

cds333

Reaction score
So I know buffers have an acid and a conjugate base, whereas the adjusters (such as "pH up") only have single compound. This is why you can use neutral regulator to both raise and lower pH to 7, but a pH adjuster only goes one way.

If you are starting with a very low (or high) pH, such as 4.5, would it be a better idea to first use an adjuster to get it close to 7, and then add the buffer to keep it there, as opposed to just dumping in neutral regulator until it eventually gets there. I would imagine that if you use a buffer to correct pH over a large range (4 up to 7), there will be a whole lot of unused chemicals in the form of the unused acid/base pair.

Furthermore, would it matter if the adjuster was carbonate and the buffer was phosphate? and why

Thanks!

Sina-key

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Im don’t now what is adjusters are and how they work but im familiar with buffers. Buffers are actually a combination of weak acid and weak base which rarely react with water because they are weak. But when you added an strong acid or base they will react with it, for example if you have a buffer and then you add it a strong base the weak acid will give up its H in order to transform the base to water and the conjagate base will absorb the released H and turn itself to acid and then turn the remaining base to water this will cause the the strong base consume without changing ph drastically. Almost same thing will happen if you add strong acid to a buffer so a buffer is not for changing the ph but to make it almost constant.
Note: don’t mess with your tank ph unless you want to keep CRS or wild caught discus or angelfish. Other fishes can easily tolerate other phs

cds333

Reaction score
Surely you are not saying tropical fish can tolerate or be acclimated to 4.5 pH?

By adjuster I mean the "pH UP" products which are only intended to raise pH, whereas buffers can be used to both raise or lower, or in the case of neutral regulator, "target" 7.0. (Other pHs can be targeted, all the way up to the 9's with carbonate buffers, but phosphates drop off around 7.6, due to their chemical nature they can raise the pH no higher)

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Surely you are not saying tropical fish can tolerate or be acclimated to 4.5 pH?

By adjuster I mean the "pH UP" products which are only intended to raise pH, whereas buffers can be used to both raise or lower, or in the case of neutral regulator, "target" 7.0. (Other pHs can be targeted, all the way up to the 9's with carbonate buffers, but phosphates drop off around 7.6, due to their chemical nature they can raise the pH no higher)
I'd say quite a few tropical fish could potentially tolerate 4.5, particularly wild caught ones from S.E Asia or the Amazon Basin.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom