Buffers Make No Sense... Please Help!! Help

Discussion in 'pH' started by Finatic005, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Finatic005

Finatic005Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +41
    Experience:
    1 year
    After finding Seachem’s acid and alkaline buffers, I thought that it would be a perfect solution to my pH problem. So I started using it on my water changes. I remove 10 gallons of water from my tank. I fill up a plastic box with 10 gallons of water and add Prime, as well as the buffers. So I added the water with the buffers back to the tank and the pH was 6.6. Which was perfect! 2 days later, this buffer turned from what I thought was a good product, to a terrible product that doesn’t work. What am I doing wrong?? Why would my pH shoot back up??!! I couldn’t find a n y information about this online. This is extraordinarily frustrating. I have run into so many problems on this tank. Algae, diatom bloom, cloudy water, plant death, cyano bacteria, ph swings, cycle bacteria dye off, snail infestation, and a broken heater. Anyway, sorry for ranting but I’m very confused about the buffer. Is there any info that I’m missing. Because it worked for an hour with no change. I tested it two days later and the pH Went up to 7.8. If I can’t figure this out I might change my tank to a cichlid tank because of my tap parameters. My tap parameters are:
    PH=8.1-8.2
    gH=7.0-8.0
    kH=4
    TDS= in the 300’s.

Thanks for any help!

2. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +498
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    What exactly is your goal? You want the pH lower? The problem with using products and chemicals to change your water parameters is exactly what you're experiencing: pH swings and difficulty keeping it stable.
    Why do you want a lower pH? What are you wanting to keep?

3. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +498
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Also, that mostly sounds like things that might happen in the start of a tank and things you're doing wrong on your end. Cloudy water isn't uncommon in a newly setup tank or after changes or even cleaning. Algae and diatom bloom sound like too much light or too much fertilizer or both. The plants could've died from the algae taking up all the fertilizer. BB die off could've been from too much cleaning. Of course, that's all guesses without knowing further details.
    But now you want to use chemicals and products to control your water? Chasing "ideal" parameters can be more trouble than it's worth.

4. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,505
    Experience:
    2 years
  5. FrostedFlakes

FrostedFlakesWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +548
    Experience:
    2 years
    It's really just better to keep a stable pH rather than a certain number unless it's extreme, 8 is a pretty normal pH.