Buenos Aires With Angelfish

gandalf1420

Reaction score
So I have buenos aires tetras in my big tank and I want to put an oscar in there. Obviously I'll have to move them. My second tank has angelfish. Would the buenos be ok with the angels or would they nip at them? I have a school of 6, and there's two angels.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've kept Buenos Aires Tetras several times over the years. One of my favorites. I've never noticed them to be particularly nippy. Just keep six or more in a group.

OP
gandalf1420

gandalf1420

Reaction score
Cool, thanks! I also have a school of serpae but those are so crazy fast I'm either going to risk it with the oscar or I'm going to get rid of them because I had angels with them and that did not end well. Suggestions on this?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’ve kept both with angels without a problem. Neither have ever been nippers. Have all 3 now in a 90g. Serpeas with the Oscar could become snacks. All according to how big the Oscar is. If he’s big enough to get they in his mouth there lunch :). If he’s to small to eat them they may live together. I had oscars not finish the feeder goldfish and the left overs weren’t eaten on later goldfish feedings. Like he knew not to eat them. Strange but true. Darn goldfish got huge had to give them to a buddy for his pond.

OP
gandalf1420

gandalf1420

Reaction score
I'd be getting a baby, if the oscar grows up with them, is that what you're saying?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No guarantee but as he grows he may except them as tank mates and not food. Most don’t feed there oscars feeders anymore anyway. Most feed pellets.

OP
gandalf1420

gandalf1420

Reaction score
Cool! I'll risk it. The tetras are so crazy fast I doubt he'll be able to do anything, and it'll be a baby so he'll grow up unable to eat them.

New Threads