Budgie With Growth On Wing

AxolotlAquarist

In case there's any bird enthusiasts on a fish forum, I have a pressing concern that I wonder if anyone has any information on. Ten minutes ago a friend of mine dropped off his pet budgerigar which he could not take care of before. When asking me to take her, he did not mention she had a large tumor-looking growth on her upper wing. It's brownish, oddly shaped, and about the size of a dime. The bird was living alone, which was why I agreed to take it. I don't think parakeets should ever be kept singly. I myself have three other birds, two of which are bonded and one of which needs a friend. So I was planning on having this new bird be his bond, but I want to ensure the lump isn't contagious. It doesn't appear to hurt her, or impede her flying. She looks pretty ragged, but I think that's because she has no one to groom her.

RedLoredAmazon

I'd be concerned about the lump and the raggy look. A parakeet even by itself can preen itself. I would take the bird to the vet to get a good check up. It may be something, but it may not and you don't want it wiping out your other birds.

KimberlyG

I always had just one budgie way back when and they never looked ragged. They would preen throughout the day. It was the same with my sulphur crested cockatoo. The birds I encounter at various places that looked ragged had health problems. Is he plucking his feathers? I do think I would keep the bird away from my other birds until I knew what was going on. It could just be stress, poor diet, etc. (I've never dealt with masses on birds) Good luck with this little one.

AvalancheDave

It's probably not contagious. Maybe a feather cyst or osteosarcoma?

RedLoredAmazon

How is the bird doing?

Sacksteder kid

My sister has two parakeets and they haven't had this before.

AxolotlAquarist

How is the bird doing?
I haven't heard back from the friend, I don't think he's gotten around to taking her to the vet. I don't think this guy takes very good care of the bird and am eager to hear the vet's report.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
CaptainRad

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom