Budget high lighting options?

Frisbee

So, I'm trying to grow rotala in my divided 10 gallon. I originally bought a cheap 24 watt led, but my rotala is very spindly and suffering a little, combined with the fact that giant duckweed is taking over the tank and reducing the lighting even more is making me realize I'm going to need a good deal more light for this tank to be how I want it. I'm looking for some budget high lighting for this tank that will penetrate through some duckweed and help my rotala get a little bushier. I had really hoped to spend less then $40 as I'm on a very tight budget. Does anyone know of any good, cheap lighting options that will fit on my 10 gal and not take up too much space and help my rotala bush out a bit?

mimo91088

Nicrew all day long. You'll have to keep that duckweed in check with regular scooping though. The higher light will help that grow faster too.

Upvote 0

Frisbee

A Nicrew Planted plus might be the best bang for your buck. It'll be plenty bright.

https://www.amazon.com/NICREW-ClassicLED-Aquarium-Spectrum-Freshwater/dp/B07F7391M2?th=1
It’s only 15 watts and 890 lumens, how is that brighter then the one I currently have?

The aquaneat version is like 1900 lumens and it’s cheaper. I’ve been contemplating that one. I have one on my 29 gallon and it’s nice. I wasn’t sure if it would be bright enough though.
Nicrew all day long. You'll have to keep that duckweed in check with regular scooping though. The higher light will help that grow faster too.
Yeah, every waterchange I remover like half the duckweed.

Upvote 0

Broggy

I have an auaneat 24 inch on my 20 long, and its way too bright honestly. auaneat and nicrew are both the same budget wise with auaneat being the cheapest. an auaneat would be amazing on a taller tank. for a 10 gallon I use the clip on auaneats. those ones are lowlight for a 10 gallon with a blue hue.

sorry I misspelled "auaneat" my keyboard has broken keys lol

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

24 watt modern LEDs is more than enough for a 10g....my 75g LED is only 32 watts.

It might have to do with where you are placing the light, how much of it is penetrating past the duckweeds and perhaps other issues.

Upvote 0

Frisbee

24 watt modern LEDs is more than enough for a 10g....my 75g LED is only 32 watts.

It might have to do with where you are placing the light, how much of it is penetrating past the duckweeds and perhaps other issues.
It’s supposed to be a 24 watt, but it’s a cheap Chinese no-brand light and it doesn’t seem especially bright to me.
You must be registered to see images

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

It’s supposed to be a 24 watt, but it’s a cheap Chinese no-brand light and it doesn’t seem especially bright to me.

Hmm idk if you can get a better LED than that....unless you just get a 2nd one and have both running. The duckweed reduces light, the tannins in the water reduces light, any condensation or mineral buildup on the cover reduces light.

In my experience tannin water affects light penetration quite a bit and the rotala may not take off until it reaches the water surface.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
breakoff
Replies
Views
Smokey3737
  • Question
Replies
Views