Budget Axolotl Setup?

1. AtomicMudkip Member Member

Hello all,
    I didn't know where to put this thread so if need be, move it to a different forum/place.
    I have dreamed of having an axolotl for some time now and I guess I have finally decided to go ahead with it. I know a little bit about axolotls and care, but for other peoples sake and in case I missed anything, please include any and all information you can from tank size, recommended plants/decor to prices, equipment etc. I am trying to keep this as LOW COST as possible. I also live in the UK so some of the basic 10 gallon, 20 gallon etc. tanks are not available. I already have a 600l/ph HOB filter for the tank (Which will be a 45 litre) but the tank comes with nothing but a glass box. Do I need a light? If so what kind? I have read that axolotls are a little sensitive to light.
    Thanks in advance,
    ~Mudkipz

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

The can get over a foot long, so you need an appropriately sized tank. A 10 or 20 gal won't do permanently, and always stock for the size tank you have, and not the one you plan to get in the future.

What's your budget?

3. AtomicMudkip Member Member

Ok thanks for the info, I'm not planning on keeping it in the 10 gallon permanently. I will probably upgrade to a 20 long or a 30 in time but I don't have the room or money for that atm. We are moving house soonish and I have been promised a 'fish room' so I will definately have more room for a bigger tank soon! My ABSOLUTE MAX is £50. The tank costs £13, I have the filter, so anything else that is compulsory I can probably fit in. My parents will probably go splits with me for the axolotl so I'll pay anything from £10-£20.
    ~Mudkipz

4. Pikachu13131 Member Member

Do you know how well these would do in a community tank,i wanted I axolotl but went with a fire salamander instead.

5. AtomicMudkip Member Member

I've read they eat anything in front of their face so I'm guessing a community would be a no go XD
    ~Mudkipz

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'd wait until you can get the big tank that he'll live in permanently. A 30 gal won't cut it either, and things can happen very easily to prevent you from getting the tank size you need.

You'll also have more time to save up.

7. Pikachu13131 Member Member

If you got a small one you might be ok in a ten gallon for a few months,i don't think they grow fast.

8. TheNinjaCoffee Member Member

How big of one were you planning to get?

With an HOB filter you're going to have to use something to baffle it since axxies dont like water movement. I use a turtle dock under the filter plunge to baffle mine.

As for decor, gravel is an absolute no no. Bare bottom is a popular option, but I use sand to give him a little something to grip the bottom to walk around with. Slate is another good option to lay on the tank floor. Absolutely nothing smaller than the size of an adult axolotl's head cause they can eat it and get their gut impacted which is deadly.
    Pikachu13131 Community is a no go! Fish will nip them and they belong in cold water anyway. Young axxies even tend to nip at each other while they're young as well.

They don't need lights, in fact they hate them! They don't have eye lids so they are pretty sensitive to the light. And also make sure to have plenty of hiding spaces.

blusshed did I miss anything important?

9. blusshed Well Known Member Member

I literally got confused and thought I typed this somehow! I use a turtle dock too! Haha!

Tank cooling... Only thing that wasn't addressed I believe! A clip on fan is all I use, and the tank is in the dark corner.

1 adult axolotl can live fine in a 20 long. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller for a full grown adult. 40gal long for 2 adults.

I use a couple fake silk plants...

You did a great job explaining! :)

10. AtomicMudkip Member Member

Thanks for the responses, I already have a baffle for my HOB made out of a sponge and a plastic water bottle, the axolotl I am buying is from a private breeder, it will be a baby 3-4 months old and a wild type. I already have cycled media so I don't need to worry about cycling my tank. Are you sure a 30 gallon wouldn't cut it? It has the same footprint as a 55 gallon and would only be housing 1 axolotl. I was planning on doing a thick pool filter sand layer and possible doing a medium density planting. I was considering adding almond leaves and drift wood to add some tannins. Is this OK for axolotl or do they not like tannins/black water in the tank?
    Thanks again,
    ~Mudkipz

11. blusshed Well Known Member Member

That is a perfectly acceptable tank for an axolotl! I think the other tank comments were aimed toward the other member on this thread who said they also were interested in an axolotl set up.

Some people claim their axolotls dig up and kill their plants, and they do like to dig, so I'd tie some type of stone weight securely to the base of each plant to imitate the base of a fake plant, as a weight because I've had no issues with my silk plant being disturbed. And from my experience axolotls love plants. My guy often hangs out in his plant.

I have a 20gal long with 1 adult and it's a good size for my axolotl. Enough room to wander.

Your axolotl may injure itself on driftwood. I have large smooth stones and my axolotl managed to put a large tear in his tail once, and I had to remove some rocks that could've possibly been the culprit and use a different set up after that.

I don't think the black water or tannins matter either way, so if you want that, go for it, but as as adult you'll probably want to rethink your axolotls tank based off of your axolotls personality. :)

12. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What's the footprint of the 30? A 55 gal has a footprint of 48" x 13". That footprint would be fine.

Tank size depends on species size. Some species can get to 12", and they need a tank with at least that width.

13. TheNinjaCoffee Member Member

I got a little wild type baby as well. He was the smallest one they had at a whopping 2 inches long. I've had him for two weeks now and he's already growing. Amazing little creatures. Definitely give us an update once you get the little guy!

14. AtomicMudkip Member Member

I won't be updating it on getting it for a while because I am getting him after I have gone on holiday as I don't want to have to worry about getting someone in to feed him or clean his tank. The 30 gallon tanks dimensions are 80x30x40cm so is this big enough? I am going to get the 10 gallon to start with (because when I upgrade it I have a free 10 gallon to use ) and i will upgrade it to a 20 or 30 gallon.
    I will probably go for a tannin stained tank with a natural look.
    ~Mudkipz

15. Kasye Member Member

I'll agree that a 20g long is perfectly acceptable for one of these guys!
    I have live plants with my axolotl, and so far he hasn't dug anything up or messed with my plants. He's tried taking a mouthful of the duckweed though (which he promptly spat out, guess he doesn't like his vegetables)

16. Pikachu13131 Member Member

Wont they have trouble turning around in a 20 long?

17. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed. A 20 long isn't big enough for an adult.

18. blusshed Well Known Member Member

Mine is huge and has absolutely no issue at all. A 20 long is perfectly acceptable for 1 adult.

19. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

How big is huge?

20. blusshed Well Known Member Member

[​IMG]