budding java fern!

Manicivy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! My java fern is budding off little tiny plants with roots! Can I cut these off and they will grow a new plant? Is this usually successful?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Wait for the new plants to grow larger and let them establish the roots well. Then you could cut them off at the roots to grow on their own. Cut at regular intervals and plant the new java fern over driftwood or rocky surfaces (tie it to the surfaces first then remove the cotton or fishing line - whichever one you're using - once the roots have established on these surfaces. Be careful not to damage the roots.

From what I've been reading, java fern has one large central root, from which the plant grows. When you're cutting that root to separate the newly-formed plant, cut it in the middle between the mother plant and the baby plant, not on the sides.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can actuall just "pull" the baby loose when its big enough. Let the babies leaves get at least 3/4 inch long then give a gentle tug and it will come loose from the parent. If you tie it to a rock or a piece of wood with cotton thread then by the time the cotton thread has rotted your plant will be anchored. Hope that helps.
Carol

Firecracker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Cool! I just noticed that my java fern--which I had planted in gravel for a while because I was waiting on my driftwood to come in--has produced a TON of little babies now that it's on driftwood!

So you can just pull them off the leaf they are growing on when they get bigger? I can't wait to put them on the small piece of driftwood I'm getting for my betta tank.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cool! I just noticed that my java fern--which I had planted in gravel for a while because I was waiting on my driftwood to come in--has produced a TON of little babies now that it's on driftwood!

So you can just pull them off the leaf they are growing on when they get bigger? I can't wait to put them on the small piece of driftwood I'm getting for my betta tank.
You really need to wait until it has about three leaves of about 1/2 to 3/4 inch long then just pluck them off
Carol

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not each one just the ones your ready to pick off. when you pick them off their leaves need to be about that size
Carol

Firecracker

Valued Member
Reaction score
OK! Because I think there's a few ready to go then, and we just picked up a new piece of wood to go in our betta tank that's boiling right now.

Edit: I just looked underneath one of the other big leaves on the java, and this thing is COVERED with dozens of babies that haven't curled around to the top yet! Is this normal? This thing is like exploding with babies. I bet we have 30 of em.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OK! Because I think there's a few ready to go then, and we just picked up a new piece of wood to go in our betta tank that's boiling right now.

Edit: I just looked underneath one of the other big leaves on the java, and this thing is COVERED with dozens of babies that haven't curled around to the top yet! Is this normal? This thing is like exploding with babies. I bet we have 30 of em.
Isn't it nice to know your plants are happy .Their really cool looking to just leave the plantlets on and let them get really big.
Carol

Firecracker

Valued Member
Reaction score
OK here's the three I saw first. They are kind of hard to tell because they look like part of the dwarf sag in front.
68.jpg

This one is hard to see too, but it's growing straight up the center of the tallest leaf.
67.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom