Buddies With Serpaes

Fruitfulspy

I have 6 Serpae Tetras, the biggest one was picking on the smallest one and is missing his dorsal fin (big one is a bully) I know that they are known to be fin nippers.

1. What can I add to my tank to be centerpieces? That also gets along with these tetras.
2. Would adding more tetras help them not pick on each other? Maybe if I add 2-4 more?

Any advice on these guys would help! Thanks!!

P.S: I attached a pic, the biggest one is on the bottom who is the bully and right above him is the smallest and you can see his dorsal fin is practically gone. poor guy.

Morpheus1967

How big is your tank again? Adding more serpae will definitely help the aggression. They will go after each other only until a pecking order is established. By adding more, you help spread out the aggression.

As for a centerpiece, it will all depend on tank size. I have half a dozen serpae in with some dwarf gourami, who are at least twice the size of the serpae,and the tetras still went after them, albeit it briefly. I have found that they will go after newcomers, even for as briefly as a few minutes, then will leave them alone.

So my tank has the 6 serpae, 6 platy, 6 peppered corys, 5 dwarf gouramis. And just today at lunch I was at home to receive a shipment of 10 Red Pencilfish. All has been going well in this tank so far.

Fruitfulspy

My tank size is 37 gallon tall. So I’ll add 3-4 more and 2 dwarf gouramis later on then doing albino Cory’s for the bottom like 3-4

DoubleDutch

Personally I wouldn't add Dwarf gouramis (and definitely not two) in with these tetras.
Nippy fish and gouramis fins / feelers aren't a good combi.
Think about a pair of Dwarf cichlids and more Corys than 3 - 4

Morpheus1967

DoubleDutch said:
Personally I wouldn't add Dwarf gouramis (and definitely not two) in with these tetras.
Man I swear I must be the luckiest fishkeeper alive. I have had zero issues with my dwarfs. Perhaps because they were all purchased at once from the same tank?

DoubleDutch

Morpheus1967 said:
Man I swear I must be the luckiest fishkeeper alive. I have had zero issues with my dwarfs. Perhaps because they were all purchased at once from the same tank?
What fish are they in with? And what temp?
In his first post the OP mentioned his fish were a bit nippy. As said I wouldn't add any gouramI cause of that.

You are lucky having read hundreds of threads in which things didn't go to well!

Morpheus1967

They are all in with docile fish (peppered corys, platys, and the aforementioned tetras after their "welcome nips"). I thought it was just the regular gouramis that were gnarly with each other. Temp is 76.

Giul

DoubleDutch said:
Agreed. I was told that serpaes would be fine with my Honey Gouramis but that was not the case. I had to move my honeys into another tank because of the serpae’s aggression

Fruitfulspy

DoubleDutch said:
Okay I have my temp at a steady 78F. Then, should I add 3-4 more tetras to make them feel more comfy?

DoubleDutch

Fruitfulspy said:
Okay I have my temp at a steady 78F. Then, should I add 3-4 more tetras to make them feel more comfy?
In that size tank that might be a good idea !

Fruitfulspy

DoubleDutch said:
In that size tank that might be a good idea !
Okay cool. And I’ll have to find a dwarf cichlid, never owned one. Lol

DoubleDutch

Fruitfulspy said:
Okay cool. And I’ll have to find a dwarf cichlid, never owned one. Lol
Check out Apistogramma borellI (a pair of harem)

Fruitfulspy

DoubleDutch said:
Check out Apistogramma borellI (a pair of harem)
Alright, I’ll check it out.

Ohio Mark

VSA

Every tank is different, but when I began with serpaes they were horrible with 6. Added 6 more and no change. When I got 6 more it all changed and they were all fine. I now keep 24 and probably my favorite tank as they are great looking and really interesting to watch

Fruitfulspy

Question! Would a pair of German Blue Rams be okay with these Serpaes? I LOVE the look of the blue rams.

david1978

Beings German rams do best around 82 it may be too warm for your tetras.

Fruitfulspy

david1978 said:
Beings German rams do best around 82 it may be too warm for your tetras.
Darn it lol

Giul

Bolivian Rams would work! They have a different color pattern but also look quite nice. It’s just hard to find ones with the nice, vibrant red (at least for me it is)

david1978

AquaticJ coralbandit what do you think would be a good ram for this tank?

Fruitfulspy

Just did some research on tank mates and I really can’t find anything. The Apistogramma borellI are hard to find where I live, no store has them.
Giul said:
Bolivian Rams would work! They have a different color pattern but also look quite nice. It’s just hard to find ones with the nice, vibrant red (at least for me it is)
What temp do they flourish at? My tank is steady 78F.

david1978

75-80 for Bolivian rams.

Fruitfulspy

david1978 said:
75-80 for Bolivian rams.
SWEET! I’ll do some research on those and see if any fish shops around me have any!

david1978

Ha I'm not much help on that. A quick Google search and this is what I found.
Marina Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram

Fruitfulspy

david1978 said:
Ha I'm not much help on that. A quick Google search and this is what I found.
Marina Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram
LOL!!! That’s a car dealership hahaha!!!!

david1978

Were better to buy a ram?

Fruitfulspy

david1978 said:
Were better to buy a ram?
LOL!!!! I’m dying hahahaha my husband did work there which is ironic

david1978

That's golden. Lol. Usually a quick search comes up with a pet store but not this time.

Fruitfulspy

david1978 said:
That's golden. Lol. Usually a quick search comes up with a pet store but not this time.
Right, it’s weird. I feel like there’s not much around my area. But Bolivian Rams look gorgeous...I have to find them lol

david1978

When I Google for fish in my area I get a bar so a car dealership is better. At least. Yea I think its better then fish night.

toeknee

I 2nd, or 3rd the opinion on getting a pair of Bolivians. They're probably the most hardy and easy to keep out of all the "Rams". Including the temperamental Dodge Ram species...... My Bolivians weren't very colorful when I first got them, after a few weeks they colored right up showing lots of reds, blues and yellows. Try to get one male on female if you can. While I love Dwarf Gouramis there's just so much inbreeding in that species that some say roughly 30% or more of them carry the incurable Dwarf GouramI disease. I think hobbyists should stay away from DG's until the hobby gets the DG disease issue sorted out.

Ohio Mark

I struck out on German Blue Rams... It seemed no matter what I tried, I lost them. I got Bolivian Rams from another member on here and LOVE them. Great personalities! I've had no trouble with BR's -- they are maybe less sensitive? The GBR is an amazing looking fish, but the BR has a subtle beauty that really grows on one.

PS -- Don't forget the Apistogramma borellii!

Fruitfulspy

Ohio Mark said:
I struck out on German Blue Rams... It seemed no matter what I tried, I lost them. I got Bolivian Rams from another member on here and LOVE them. Great personalities! I've had no trouble with BR's -- they are maybe less sensitive? The GBR is an amazing looking fish, but the BR has a subtle beauty that really grows on one.

PS -- Don't forget the Apistogramma borellii!
Well as I said before, I can’t seem to find them around my area. And I’m not sure how the shipping of live fish would work. Never thought of doing it. The AB would be pretty for my tank though.

toeknee

Fruitfulspy said:
Well as I said before, I can’t seem to find them around my area. And I’m not sure how the shipping of live fish would work. Never thought of doing it. The AB would be pretty for my tank though.
I have gotten all of my fish through online, out of the 50 plus fish I've had delivered I've only had 1 show up dead. It's pretty safe overall as long as temperatures aren't extremely cold or extremely hot. Trinsfish. com and manzanita-driftwood. com are the only online fish sellers I have found that offer $15 dollar 2-3 day priority shipping on live fish which has worked fine for me every time. Most other online fish sellers only offer 30-40 dollar overnight shipping. In my experience 2-3 day shipping is just fine, overnight isn't absolutely necessary. Trinsfish. com has Bolivian Rams for sale, I don't think Manznita-driftwood. com does

Ohio Mark

Fruitfulspy said:
Sorry, I must have missed the fact you could not find them in your area! Neither can I.... There are no great fish stores in my general area, so I have ordered most of my fish online and had them shipped. I have heard good things about Trinsfish, though never personally ordered from them. As toeknee pointed out, their rates sound great. I got most of my AP's from Aquatic Arts and was very pleased with them, but shipping IS pricey.

Fruitfulspy

Okay, I saw liveaquaria. com has some too. I thinking of ordering online but I’m afraid of them ending up dead when you pay a bunch of money for them, ya know? I’ll have to look around and see. But if none has any rams, then I’ll end up doing the online. Today I’m getting a Golden pleco, and 4 more tetras so the pleco can clean up the tank a bit and the tetras feel more comfy. I just did a 10% water change because my water was a bit cloudy wasn’t sure why. However the water did clear up when I just changed it.

Ohio Mark

Fruitfulspy said:
Okay, I saw liveaquaria. com has some too. I thinking of ordering online but I’m afraid of them ending up dead when you pay a bunch of money for them, ya know? I’ll have to look around and see. But if none has any rams, then I’ll end up doing the online. Today I’m getting a Golden pleco, and 4 more tetras so the pleco can clean up the tank a bit and the tetras feel more comfy. I just did a 10% water change because my water was a bit cloudy wasn’t sure why. However the water did clear up when I just changed it.
For what it's worth, I have never had a shipped fish die. I have not tried liveaquaria, so can't give an opinion.

Fruitfulspy

Ohio Mark said:
For what it's worth, I have never had a shipped fish die. I have not tried liveaquaria, so can't give an opinion.
Hmmmm....I’ll have to try it out.

Ohio Mark

Just thought of something.... jmaldo --- I got BR's from him and I know he sometimes has some to sell. Worth a shot? I got some young AP's from yukondog ..... Worth seeing if they have any?

Fruitfulspy

Ohio Mark said:
Just thought of something.... jmaldo --- I got BR's from him and I know he sometimes has some to sell. Worth a shot? I got some young AP's from yukondog ..... Worth seeing if they have any?
Maybe!

jmaldo

Did someone mention Bolivians, one of my favorite fish. Thanks Ohio Mark "Great" to here they are doing well, it will be a year in a few weeks, since we traded. Anybody looking for "Hostas" Mark has the "Best".

Fruitfulspy None available right now maybe after Summer. (Just sold my last batch to my LFS's and at the local Auctions).

As toeknee replied "Trinsfish"
"Topnotch" in my opinion and is the only online store I have purchased from and had fish shipped. (besides from forum members). Never lost a fish (knock on wood).

Since you said not much to choose from in your area. Just another option. Do a search for "Fish/Aquarium" Clubs or Auctions near you. I have quite a few within 1/2 hour.And decided to join. Really the "Best" option if available to you. Local breeders whom actually care about their fish.

Good Luck!

Fruitfulspy

Ohio Mark jmaldo

update! They just arrived and I put them in the quarantine tank for the next week. They are smaller, they look young still! Also, panda Cory’s arrived with them and none died! So I’m happy! Going out to get sinking pellet food for the pandas and brine shrimp for the Rams

Ohio Mark

Fruitfulspy said:
Ohio Mark jmaldo

update! They just arrived and I put them in the quarantine tank for the next week. They are smaller, they look young still! Also, panda Cory’s arrived with them and none died! So I’m happy! Going out to get sinking pellet food for the pandas and brine shrimp for the Rams
Congratulations!! Keep us posted!

Fruitfulspy

jmaldo

Congrats! "Bolivians" one of my favorites.

Fruitfulspy

jmaldo said:
Congrats! "Bolivians" one of my favorites.
One is definitely a female and the other one is a male. Hopefully their colors get better as they grow!

Ohio Mark

Fruitfulspy said:
One is definitely a female and the other one is a male. Hopefully their colors get better as they grow!
Yay! A pair! I assume their colors will get richer as they settle in & grow.

Fruitfulspy

Ohio Mark said:
Yay! A pair! I assume their colors will get richer as they settle in & grow.
That’s good to hear!

Fruitfulspy

Lost one of the smallest panda Cory’s,
I heard that they are hard to keep alive, the temp is fine is at 74-75 for them.

Andddddd I lost a Bolivian Rams too! Dang it! it’s been 3 days since they arrived

jmaldo

What a shame. Hey, it happens. Not sure when/where you got them. Might want to contact the seller. Worth a shot.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom