Bucket For 5 Gallon Tank?

Minnow

I'm about to set up a 5 gallon tank after several fishless years, so I'm getting all the supplies together right now, and I'm doing my best to be thoughtful and well-informed about my selections. I need to get a bucket or two for water changes, soaking small driftwood, and any other situations that pop up.

What size(s) of bucket would be the most useful for a 5 gallon tank? Is 2 a good number to have? I'm open to recommendations for specific buckets, although I'm sure I can find something suitable on my own once I figure out what size would be best. Thanks in advance!

Nikki2577

I would just get a 5 gallon bucket because I find they are easier than the smaller buckets. I just get mine at home depot, Like $4. I do rinse them out well before use just in case something got in the bucket.

david1978

2-5 gallon buckets are easy to find and cheap. But yea a 2 or 2 1/2 gallon should be big enough.

Giul

If you can find a 2 gallon that would be perfect. However Home Depot and Lowe’s sells 5 gallon bucks for like $5-$10 so if you can’t find anything cheaper go that route

Fanatic

I use home depot buckets, and libman household mopping buckets for water and utilities.

Smalltownfishfriend

I don't know if your family ever buys ice cream in 1 gallon containers, but I think that would work great!! And be cheap, plus you get ice cream with it!!lol

coralbandit

Since I keep fish in containers from 1 gallon up to 180g I have many buckets of different sizes.
I like using the 2.5 for my 5 gallon tanks to remove 50% .Takes no thinking to fill the bucket up .
I store or prep and move water in containers from 1 qt all thewya up to 44g[barrel] .
I would get a 5 and 2.5, maybe 2 @5 and 1@ 2.5 .

DarkOne

I got most of my buckets from Lowes for under $4 ea. I have 12 5 gallon and 3 2.5g buckets. I also picked up a bunch of lids for the 5 gallon so I store potting mix, substrate, rocks, etc and keep 3-4 for actual water . The 2.5g buckets are great for smaller tanks and transporting fish to/from fish stores with a towel in there. Speaking of towels, I bought a 6pk of hand towels just for my fish. 28 x 15 is perfect for fish stuff.

Briggs

I have a bit of a bucket problem, so I have a number of 5g, 2g, and 2.5qt buckets and a few plastic 1 gallon water jugs lying around. I'd go with a 5 and a 2 gallon if you just have one tank, though. They nest for easy storage, and you could use one for carrying (possibly aging if you need to) clean water in, and one for dirty water.

NYFishGuy

I use the 5 gallon HD buckets to drain from my my tanks 5-20 gallon.
Also use a 1 gallon Arizona ice tea container to fill them for smaller water changes.
It goes a bit quicker if I unscrew the aerator from kitchen faucet

Authmal

I don't know if your family ever buys ice cream in 1 gallon containers, but I think that would work great!! And be cheap, plus you get ice cream with it!!lol
These are typically flimsy, and don't handle being moved while full of water well, in my experience.

mattgirl

I have 1 - 5 gallon for waste water 1 - 4 gallon and 1 - 2 gallon for fresh water. I have a 55 gallon tank, a 10 gallon, a 5.5 gallon and a 2.5 gallon snail jar. The 3 buckets are plenty to handle whatever I need to do with them.

Fanatic

These are typically flimsy, and don't handle being moved while full of water well, in my experience.

I will agree with Authmal, they can be really cheaply made and tend to "bend" when full of a free moving liquid.

Smalltownfishfriend

Eh I guess I use them as cleaning buckets so they work for me!
: Probably depends on the ice cream brand too because I actually use one for water changes and it is as study as a bought bucket!!

Minnow

Thank you all for the responses! I ended up stopping by Lowes yesterday and buying white food-grade buckets - one 2 gallon, one 5 gallon. I was hoping to find a 2.5 gallon bucket with a pouring spout, but they didn't have many options. I've already used them a bit and having both sizes has been helpful! I'll stick with these two for now, and if I find myself wishing I had more or different buckets, I can get more later on.

Annie59

I know you got your buckets but I go to places like walmart bakery and ask if they have any buckets. Any place that sells food have smaller pickle buckets they will just give you.

goldface

I have a Lowes bucket, a Home Depot bucket, a Gander Mountain bucket, a Dick's bucket, a Bass Pro Shops bucket, a pickle bucket, a tofu bucket. All 5 gallons. MBS (multiple bucket syndrome) is real. Uh, what was the question again? Point is, there are so many 5 gallon buckets used for so many things. You could probably find some for free.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
endlercollector
Replies
Views
Junne
Replies
Views