Bubbles?

1. SuzanaBanana Member Member

We got my son's betta about a week ago

In the cornwr of his tank (opposite side of the filter, there is a BUNCH of bubbles.
    What is it?

He is a 10 gallon, fully cycled tank by himself.

He seems ALOT more confident active and happier then when we first brought him home.

All water perameters are good.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Suzana
    Your beautiful little man blew a bubble nest. It's instinct to impress females and prepare for mating. Not that you have to or should mate them. That's just what they do.
    Some females will also build bubble nests but mostly it's a male thing.

When bettas mate the male wraps around the female and she drops the eggs.
    He gathers the eggs with his mouth and would place them in the nest.

It shows he's a happy betta in his new home. :)

3. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

What a round of applause from the Betta for your good fish keeping!

4. SuzanaBanana Member Member

Aww yay!!! Im glad!!!! i thought he was happy, but this shows me for sure! How exciting!

5. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Yes!! Bubble nest! Mine has done this as well in the past.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. SuzanaBanana Member Member

Aww i like those little plants, what are they? Lillypads?

7. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Dwarf tears it looks like

8. MinhMai Member Member

Or duckweed... That was a nightmare for me

9. SuzanaBanana Member Member

Where can i get them? I love the way it looks!

10. Annie424 Well Known Member Member

I have some duckweed too! Personally, I like it. It doesn't grow fast for me, but I've read that it can quickly overtake a tank so that might be why it was such a nightmare for MinhMai? It will stick to your hands when you do water changes and water testing. :) If it grows too thick I imagine it would block out some of the light for the other plants in the tank. Love the little bubble nest!

11. MinhMai Member Member

Duckweed grows quite fast under two 13watt 6500K cfls the kind you put into a room lamp. It sticks to everything I stick into the tank and pull out. It gets into my HOB filter and grows in there clogging my sponge. The current from my filter throws it down the water column so it gets stuck in the leaves, branches, and roots of my plants. I got rid of every visible piece I could find 2 weeks ago and I'm still finding a small surviving leaf now and then.

Btw cute betta. This is giving me that collectoritis itch again.

12. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Duckweed!!! It can be messy, gettin in your filter and such, on stuff you pull out, on your hand and arm. And I'd recommend baffling your filter if you get some. Strong current will just blow them all over the tank. It can also grow very quickly, so much so it will almost surely require an occasional purge, otherwise it will cover the top of the water and block light from reaching other plants.

I like it and I don't mind the messiness or anything, but I can see how some would hate it. There's also Frogbit, which is similar, grows slower, and is larger in size so more resistant to being blown around the tank.

I got my batch off of amazon. The Betta does like hiding under the shade of them and looking through the roots.