Bubbles on top of tank?????

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a layer of "foamy" bubbles on the suface of my tank?? is this a good thing or bad. It goes away for a couple of secs when I add food but then comes right back. It isn't a bubble nest cause I don't have a betta in my tank. I have red tail loaches, striata botia, angels, cories, ottos, neons, and guppies. All levels in tank are normal. just did a water change 3 days ago. does anyone know what it is???? or how to fix it???

Ryan.O.

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have bubbles on the top of my tank too. it is from the dwarf gourami and it means he wants 2 mate

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Skippi what are you using to dechlorinate your water. Some dechlors have aloe(stress coat for ex.) in them and this builds up a little and causes foam on the surface and in the cornors. Also feeding a high protein food often will cause the same thing. when I am conditioning fish for breeding with frequent feedings of blood worms and brine shrimp this shows up and I have to do more frequent water changes.
Ryan Gouramis and Bettas will both make bubble nests when their happy not necessarily wanting to mate. but probably would if presented with a ripe female. Breeding Bettas and Gouramis is ALOT of work
Carol

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
I only add cycle to the water. we have a filter system hooked up that takes all the bad stuff out of my water. I do have brine shrimp and bloodworms mixed in with the flake food that I feed my fish so that might be causing the problem. I had just done a water change though and then it started foaming. I will try some more water cahnges and see if that helps. This doesn't effect the fish does it? I mean the foamy stuff.

Heidi

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom