Bubbles From Soil Substrate??

sassymomma

So I set up my sorority with organic pond soil, a few months ago and capped it with pool filter sand

The soil ranges from.5" in the front to 3" deep the back corners, where I had planned to place a pair of huge swords and instead put rocks lol

At the start, the back right had a stand of jungle Val's but they completely melted and died on me. Now I'm getting bubbles from the substrate- it started there, and I assumed it was the roots breaking down so I have been doing daily 10-15g water changes and stirring things up to release the air/gasses

Ammonia runs 0-.25

It doesn't smell, nor is it black and nasty like the time I got a pocket under my sand in the 29. It's just clear bubbles as though air were stuck in the dirt

Is this just normal settling, and I should keep things stirred up?

I am hoping to meet a fellow forum member soon, and get some trumpet snails-that should help, right?
1bacee1930b95a7e4f51fdc8a9b7f9f6.jpg

BeanFish

Technically it isn't normal because you are supposed to wet the soil before capping to avoid air pockets forming in the soil. If the air pockets are in the soil I don't think the snails will do much. If they are in the sand they will help. I have a 10 gal dirted tank and I never stirr anything. I never have water quality problems neither. If anything I need to dose nitrogen to plants without roots.

sassymomma

I did wet the soil and stirred it at time of adding

I thought it must be the roots from the Val's that died, rotting and causing pockets?

BeanFish

I don't think they would have caused the air pockets but maybe.
I would add something like water lettuce or hornwort, it should get rid of the ammonia. When the snails come they should keep the sand stirred up.

sassymomma

Water lettuce didn't like my tank setup, I'll try hornwort again

I didn't have much luck with it in my understocked 29, but the sorority should grow it

BeanFish

Watter lettuce did not like my setup neither until I started dosing nitrogen. My rooted plants don't show nitrogen deficiencies because of the soil but when duckweed and water lettuce wasn't growing it became obvious my water had no nitrogen.
Ammonia is the prefered form of nitrogen for plants so the water lettuce or hornwort should eat that up quickly.

sassymomma

That could be why then- my usual parameters are 0/0/5-15, with a ph of 7.5

The hornwort loved my goldfish tank, which always had.25 ammonia, but they melted in other tanks where the above is normal

The goldfish are back in the pond now and I have no hornwort left, and I sent the lettuce to the pond to recover too.

I need to grab more filter media, so I will see if they have hornwort in store

Vijay Raj R

Hi,

I got a small 6 Gallon planted tank with control soil. Its 2 months old and 2 weeks before only I got a top light of 7500k. Suddenly now am seeing some kind of algae covering all over the substrate(PFA). From last 2 days bubbles are frequently bursting out from that covering area from the substrate It really freaks me out. Not able to understand how to stop it. Some are telling they are O2 and few are saying they are microbes, which are harmful for the fishes.

I'm really worried, please someone tell me what is it? And how to stop it?

NOTE: Please find the pictures attached for the reference.

Attachments

• IMG_20170721_211213.jpg
    IMG_20170721_211213.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_20170721_211019.jpg
    IMG_20170721_211019.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_20170721_211013.jpg
    IMG_20170721_211013.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 214

Aquaphobia

It probably is O2 being produced by the algae, how deep is your substrate? What kind of lights do you have? Are you fertilizing?

Vijay Raj R

It probably is O2 being produced by the algae, how deep is your substrate? What kind of lights do you have? Are you fertilizing?
  • Its SunSun ADE-300C(7500k) LED top light and using Flourish Excel as carbon source(Usually pour 0.5ml every day in the morning).
  • Deepness of substrate is ~4 - 4.5cm.
  • No fertilizers used, becoz the soil itself has good amount of ferts(Contro Soil).

If its algae! Then how can we control them?

PS: This algae was not spotted before this light was introduced.

Attachments

• IMG_20170721_221158.jpg
    IMG_20170721_221158.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_20170711_224042.jpg
    IMG_20170711_224042.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_20170711_223915.jpg
    IMG_20170711_223915.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_20170711_211152.jpg
    IMG_20170711_211152.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_20170711_205854.jpg
    IMG_20170711_205854.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 167

Aquaphobia

How long are your lights on for? You might also need to wait until the plants grow enough to start using up the excess nutrients which should starve out the algae.

DoubleDutch

Think it is cyano. That produces gassbubbles.

Vijay Raj R

How long are your lights on for? You might also need to wait until the plants grow enough to start using up the excess nutrients which should starve out the algae.
~9 hrs a day, some times 10 hrs.
It's funny to kill the algae starve to death.

Think it is cyano. That produces gassbubbles.
What is Cyano? I've never heard of it before.

DoubleDutch

What is Cyano? I've never heard of it before.
blue algae = in fact a bacteria

Vijay Raj R

blue algae = in fact a bacteria
Just read the article of Sam regarding cyanobacteriaAquarium Cyanobacteria

Actually he's trying to explain we should lead the race of growing algae by not allowing them to spawn.
  • By frequent water change.
  • Removing them day by day slowly etc..
He also mentioned, it can also start growing by the fish food. I got 4 guppies, I feed them 7-8 micro pellets in the morning and 5-6 Tetra bits pellets before going to bed.

Could that be a reason for growing these algae? Because after feeding this Tetra bits only I'm seeing such new member in my tank.

Vijay Raj R

I've observed one thing- bubbles burst out only in the evening and no bubbles in the morning.

AllieSten

I would change your lighting schedule to help combat it. You need to take a break from the lights midway through the day. 3 hours on in the morning. Off for 3 hours, then on for 3 hours in the evening. This will help decrease the algae production.

DylanM

I would change your lighting schedule to help combat it. You need to take a break from the lights midway through the day. 3 hours on in the morning. Off for 3 hours, then on for 3 hours in the evening. This will help decrease the algae production.
I tried this for about a month and it didn't help any more than just having the lights on for same amount of time in one period each day. All this will probably do is either take up more of your time or make you buy a timer that can handle multiple on's and off's per day.

Vijay Raj R

I think you are absolutely right. Because today when I switched on the light in the morning there were no bubbles but after 3 hours it started to bubbling. Now I've turned the lights off and going to turn it ON after 3-4 hours gap.

I tried this for about a month and it didn't help any more than just having the lights on for same amount of time in one period each day. All this will probably do is either take up more of your time or make you buy a timer that can handle multiple on's and off's per day.
I've made a 4-CH relay switch for this purpose, controlled with Arduino nano to operate them. I can program the outputs as per my need.

Aquaphobia

The reason there are bubbles only after the lights have been on for a while is that photosynthesis only takes place in the light and the oxygen produced takes a while to build up to the point it forms noticeable bubbles.

Jocelyn Adelman

For the time being you can poke around (gently) in the substrate with a thin skewer, should help to release some of the trapped gasses.
All that being said, I have one tank that will "bubble" occasionally, eco complete around three inches, well stirred... never smells, just get it while using gravel vac... not overly concerned about it, but it's also not a soil substrate capped with sand (I have trumpet snails in there too)

sassymomma

I'm poking regularly, and my plants are growing well

I'm hoping to get snails soon-no one sells them but a fellow forum member has a lead for me

Herkimur

My substrate also releases bubbles, mainly from the roots of plants area.
Roots disturb the substrate, moving it and release air pockets that have been trapped.

The algae is part of a new system.
Algae = Life.

I've had everything from Green Spot Algae, Crusty Diatoms, Green Hair Algae and now Black Beard Algae in my tank and I just have to be thorough each week while doing my 50% WC to keep everything at bay.
My tank looks good from a distance

eb55a8903f618db802042fa2b11ddc02.jpg

-Mak-

You have what looks like quite a powerful light and very little plant mass, so algae is sure to happen. You can dI'm the lights or add more plants to help combat algae.

Vijay Raj R

My substrate also releases bubbles, mainly from the roots of plants area.
Roots disturb the substrate, moving it and release air pockets that have been trapped.

The algae is part of a new system.
Algae = Life.

I've had everything from Green Spot Algae, Crusty Diatoms, Green Hair Algae and now Black Beard Algae in my tank and I just have to be thorough each week while doing my 50% WC to keep everything at bay.
My tank looks good from a distance

eb55a8903f618db802042fa2b11ddc02.jpg
Your tank looks nice, but!! is it okay to keep the tank just infront of the window?

You have what looks like quite a powerful light and very little plant mass, so algae is sure to happen. You can dI'm the lights or add more plants to help combat algae.
Yeah!! I'm planning to place more plants and going to change the lighting schedule.

Mikero

With the bubble it does sound like blue-green algae although it is usually a brighter green in my experience and would be on the plants too. If you rub it does it come way very easily? Also a simple test is to squirt a tiny pipette of low grade on some and see what happens. If there is an explosion of bubbles then you do have Cyrano and no reduction in lighting or feeding is going to help you; need to treat the whole tank. Hope that helps!

Jocelyn Adelman

So, I've never shipped live before (only plants) but I would be happy to ship you some assuming you cover the cost of shipping, no charge on the snails....
Not sure if it's too hot right now????

sassymomma

I'm not sure about border control though, thy're considered pests up here lol. Otherwise, I'd jump on the offer. And mail here is horrible....Our days are 31C right now, not sure what that would translate to in a bag in a truck?

I'm pretty sure I can get some local, it's just a matter of arranging work schedules, and so forth. My hubby is shift work, and his schedule is more of a guideline, because they often swap his shifts around to meet store demands...he's kinda the go-to guy when the store needs a reliable man

Herkimur

Your tank looks nice, but!! is it okay to keep the tank just infront of the window?.
It's a north side window and gets closed when I turn aquarium lights off.
Every other spot in the house is occupied and the next place to be would be either the garage or outside

Jocelyn Adelman

I wouldn't recommend starting a split photo period. I would decrease your current photo period to six hrs. After about two weeks you can try increasing it to seven, and so on... 9-10hrs is wayyyy to long, eight would likely be the max.
However, eight is too much for now. Start at six. If no algae is forming after two weeks increase to seven. Two weeks later you can try 8.
A carpeting plant will do better with a straight photoperiod vs. split.

Vijay Raj R

I wouldn't recommend starting a split photo period. I would decrease your current photo period to six hrs. After about two weeks you can try increasing it to seven, and so on... 9-10hrs is wayyyy to long, eight would likely be the max.
However, eight is too much for now. Start at six. If no algae is forming after two weeks increase to seven. Two weeks later you can try 8.
A carpeting plant will do better with a straight photoperiod vs. split.
Sounds nice, but these algaes start to bubble after 2 hrs of straight photo period.

Aquaphobia

Is it the algae or the bubbles you don't like?

bigdreams

For cyano outbreak in my sump (I tried creating a refugium but my light was way too intense and no water movement at the surface), I sprayed with hydrogen peroxide, left lights off for two days. It was completely gone. No trace of it at all afterwards. I would get pipette and locally apply hydrogen peroxide to cyano without overdosing and killing your fish. Even so hydrogen peroxide baths are common, so should be ok. It becomes plain water quickly anyway.

Siesta period works. 5 hours on, 4 hours off, 5 hours off. If your light is too bright then it's too bright, siesta won't help.

I personally feel use of Excel is overrated. Try balancing the tank and finding correct light level without use of Excel. That will be better long term. You can add it afterwards if u want. I don't use Excel and don't have any algae in my soil tank. I have learned that sometimes the simplest solution is best... Like dimming the light

Vijay Raj R

Is it the algae or the bubbles you don't like?
Now its algae outbreak. They are engulfing the DHG slowly. Its really annoying and worrying me.

For cyano outbreak in my sump (I tried creating a refugium but my light was way too intense and no water movement at the surface), I sprayed with hydrogen peroxide, left lights off for two days. It was completely gone. No trace of it at all afterwards. I would get pipette and locally apply hydrogen peroxide to cyano without overdosing and killing your fish. Even so hydrogen peroxide baths are common, so should be ok. It becomes plain water quickly anyway.

Siesta period works. 5 hours on, 4 hours off, 5 hours off. If your light is too bright then it's too bright, siesta won't help.

I personally feel use of Excel is overrated. Try balancing the tank and finding correct light level without use of Excel. That will be better long term. You can add it afterwards if u want. I don't use Excel and don't have any algae in my soil tank. I have learned that sometimes the simplest solution is best... Like dimming the light
Yes, My light is so bright and its sharp and tank may be unappropriate for this light size. I should try reducing the luminosity of the light I guess. I use flourish excel, even though its coming.

There are some algae control solutions are available in market, will that help me to control this?

And how to spray hydrogen peroxide inside the water? how spraying is possible immersed?

Aquaphobia

Trouble is that this is not algae but a photosynthesizing bacteria. Antibiotics are called for.

bigdreams

Trouble is that this is not algae but a photosynthesizing bacteria. Antibiotics are called for.
Hydrogen peroxide will work. If no fish, drain all the water , spray it and refill with clean tank water. If fish in tank, use a turkey baster to spot treat. I think you need a lot more stem plants to help soak up the extra nutrients. Get some cheap floaters for now. Good luck.

Vijay Raj R

Hydrogen peroxide will work. If no fish, drain all the water , spray it and refill with clean tank water. If fish in tank, use a turkey baster to spot treat. I think you need a lot more stem plants to help soak up the extra nutrients. Get some cheap floaters for now. Good luck.
Thank you very much for your kind information. I'm planning to put more plants, let's hope for the best.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MaximumRide14
Replies
Views
Roytoyjonez
Replies
Views
Unknown9182
Replies
Views