Bubbles Coming Out Of The Substrate?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by BakedBrotatoes, Jul 16, 2019.

1. BakedBrotatoes

BakedBrotatoesNew MemberMember

Hello,

My little 5 month old 2.5 Gallon tank has very small bubbles coming out of the substrate. What does that usually mean? Does it mean I have algae growing in the substrate? I don't smell anything crazy from the tank.

Water Parameters:
    pH 7.6
    Ammonia 0ppm
    Nitrite 0ppm
    Nitrate 5.00ppm
    GH 214.8+
    KH 8 dkH

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Most likely just areas of your substrate that has settled making the bubbles come up... if you have a skewer or a stick you can stir it around a bit to get more of the substrate to settle. What are you using sand?

3. Zka17

Zka17Valued MemberMember

That could mean 2 things: one bad and one neutral... The bad is that some toxic anaerobic gas is forming - but that would have foul smell. The good is that there can be air trapped in and it is getting released. Either way, stirring the substrate when doing water changes will stop the bubbling.

One other possibility, if you see it right after the water changes, is that you introduced air while pouring the water in - that is harmless as well.

4. OP
    OP
    BakedBrotatoes

I am using the normal sized ultum substrate. I'll go ahead and try stirring things around, I got worried that I'm growing algae in the substrate if that even makes any sense o_O

5. OP
    OP
    BakedBrotatoes

Definitely no foul smell, I've been sniffing around (my co-workers think I'm weird now after seeing me sniff it) but none so far.

Would carpet plants might be causing it too? I just noticed some of them have crawled under the substrate.

6. Zka17

Zka17Valued MemberMember

Plants can "pearl" when they are the happiest. But you have mentioned that the bubbles are coming from the substrate... Specially high light/CO2 systems will produce the pearling carpet look...

Do you have a picture of your tank?

7. OP
    OP
    BakedBrotatoes

Ooh no not at the moment, I've switched from high light to low light now since I was growing algea.
    Oddly enough, since I switched light source the bubbles have also stopped.