Bubbles Coming Out From The Substrate.

1. Vijay Raj R Member Member

I got a small 6 Gallon planted tank with control soil. Its 2 months old and 2 weeks before only I got a top light of 7500k. Suddenly now am seeing some kind of algae covering all over the substrate(PFA). From last 2 days bubbles are frequently bursting out from that covering area from the substrate It really freaks me out. Not able to understand how to stop it. Some are telling they are O2 and few are saying they are microbes, which are harmful for the fishes.

I'm really worried, please someone tell me what is it? And how to stop it?

NOTE: Please find the pictures attached for the reference.

Attached Files:

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

It probably is O2 being produced by the algae, how deep is your substrate? What kind of lights do you have? Are you fertilizing?

3. Vijay Raj R Member Member

• Its SunSun ADE-300C(7500k) LED top light and using Flourish Excel as carbon source(Usually pour 0.5ml every day in the morning).
    • Deepness of substrate is ~4 - 4.5cm.
    • No fertilizers used, becoz the soil itself has good amount of ferts(Contro Soil).

If its algae! Then how can we control them?

PS: This algae was not spotted before this light was introduced.

Attached Files:

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

How long are your lights on for? You might also need to wait until the plants grow enough to start using up the excess nutrients which should starve out the algae.

5. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Think it is cyano. That produces gassbubbles.
  6. Vijay Raj R Member Member

~9 hrs a day, some times 10 hrs.
    It's funny to kill the algae starve to death.

What is Cyano? I've never heard of it before.
  7. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

blue algae = in fact a bacteria

8. Vijay Raj R Member Member

Just read the article of Sam regarding cyanobacteriaAquarium Cyanobacteria

Actually he's trying to explain we should lead the race of growing algae by not allowing them to spawn.
    • By frequent water change.
    • Removing them day by day slowly etc..
    He also mentioned, it can also start growing by the fish food. I got 4 guppies, I feed them 7-8 micro pellets in the morning and 5-6 Tetra bits pellets before going to bed.

Could that be a reason for growing these algae? Because after feeding this Tetra bits only I'm seeing such new member in my tank.
  9. Vijay Raj R Member Member

I've observed one thing- bubbles burst out only in the evening and no bubbles in the morning.
  10. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I would change your lighting schedule to help combat it. You need to take a break from the lights midway through the day. 3 hours on in the morning. Off for 3 hours, then on for 3 hours in the evening. This will help decrease the algae production.

11. DylanM Member Member

I tried this for about a month and it didn't help any more than just having the lights on for same amount of time in one period each day. All this will probably do is either take up more of your time or make you buy a timer that can handle multiple on's and off's per day.
  12. Vijay Raj R Member Member

I think you are absolutely right. Because today when i switched on the light in the morning there were no bubbles but after 3 hours it started to bubbling. Now I've turned the lights off and going to turn it ON after 3-4 hours gap.

I've made a 4-CH relay switch for this purpose, controlled with Arduino nano to operate them. I can program the outputs as per my need.
  13. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

The reason there are bubbles only after the lights have been on for a while is that photosynthesis only takes place in the light and the oxygen produced takes a while to build up to the point it forms noticeable bubbles.
  14. Herkimur Well Known Member Member

My substrate also releases bubbles, mainly from the roots of plants area.
    Roots disturb the substrate, moving it and release air pockets that have been trapped.

The algae is part of a new system.
    Algae = Life.

I've had everything from Green Spot Algae, Crusty Diatoms, Green Hair Algae and now Black Beard Algae in my tank and I just have to be thorough each week while doing my 50% WC to keep everything at bay.
    My tank looks good from a distance
  15. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

You have what looks like quite a powerful light and very little plant mass, so algae is sure to happen. You can dim the lights or add more plants to help combat algae.
  16. Vijay Raj R Member Member

Your tank looks nice, but!! is it okay to keep the tank just infront of the window?

Yeah!! I'm planning to place more plants and going to change the lighting schedule.
  17. Mikero Initiate Member

With the bubble it does sound like blue-green algae although it is usually a brighter green in my experience and would be on the plants too. If you rub it does it come way very easily? Also a simple test is to squirt a tiny pipette of low grade hydrogen peroxide on some and see what happens. If there is an explosion of bubbles then you do have Cyrano and no reduction in lighting or feeding is going to help you; need to treat the whole tank. Hope that helps!
  18. Herkimur Well Known Member Member

It's a north side window and gets closed when I turn aquarium lights off.
    Every other spot in the house is occupied and the next place to be would be either the garage or outside
  19. Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't recommend starting a split photo period. I would decrease your current photo period to six hrs. After about two weeks you can try increasing it to seven, and so on... 9-10hrs is wayyyy to long, eight would likely be the max.
    However, eight is too much for now. Start at six. If no algae is forming after two weeks increase to seven. Two weeks later you can try 8.
    A carpeting plant will do better with a straight photoperiod vs. split.
  20. Vijay Raj R Member Member

Sounds nice, but these algaes start to bubble after 2 hrs of straight photo period.