Bubbles And Dead Fish

bob1077

help all my fish are dead they all had skin loss or bubbles but not on the eyes. this happened two weeks ago when we got a new fish for the 20 gallon tank. then two weeks later here we are now 3 tetras, 1 pictus, 1 cory cat, 1 rephal cat (We think coused it), 1 angel and 1 platty all dead. only 2 ghost shrimp and a white molly are left and the molly aready looks sick

Sepehr

Hello!
I think those fish attacked each other because of the stocking issues...!
Parameters?
Temperature?
any sign of aggression?
Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

bob1077

24*13*21 I think we lost the thermomater but the heater auto turns on and off no sign of aggresion but lots of bubbles

KinsKicks

24*13*21 I think we lost the thermomater but the heater auto turns on and off no sign of aggresion but lots of bubbles

I think it's due to not a properly cycled aquarium. Bubbles don't really affect these kinds of aquarium stock to the point of killing them

Sepehr

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?
Do you have a kit to test your water?

bob1077

I have one cycler thing for a 10-20 gallon I have another one if I should need it

I don't we have strips is that ok

Sepehr

What are 24*13*21? Are these your aquarium dimensions?

KinsKicks

I have one cycler thing for a 10-20 gallon I have another one if I should need it

What do you mean be cycler? Do you mean the filter?

bob1077

yes and yes

sorry loss for words

Sepehr

I recommend you to read Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle this!
I agree with KinsKicks, bubble can not really affect that much.
after you understood the Nitrogen Cycle, we can help you with your stocking plan

KinsKicks

Ok, firstly, of those are your dimensions, your tank is about 28 gallons.

Secondly, I'm guessing why your fish died is because your tank wasn't properly cycled. Please read up on the nitrogen cycle, there are articles here in the site or the internet. It's the key in keeping your fish alive. I'm presuming your faced an ammonia spike (which is toxic to fish) and this is what killed them. Or if you used untreated tap water, the chlorine kill them.

Thirdly, if you can, please try to get the API Freshwater master test kit. They are much more accurate than the strips and last much longer. You won't regret it

AllieSten

HI there. I am not sure what a "cycler thing" is, but the nitrogen cycle isn't that.

The nitrogen cycle is beneficial bacteria that grows in your filter. It will keep your tank healthy and free from toxins. Most likely your fish died from a build up of those toxins.

Test strips will help, but you now have a tank with no fish. So it isn't going to do much good at this point.

What I would do is get an API Freshwater Master Test kit and some pure ammonia. You can do a fishless cycle to get your tank ready. Then once your tank is fully cycled you can then add fish.

As far as a filter goes. You need to have one that can cycle 200 gallons per hour. So if your filter cannot do that, it isn't big enough. One that is for 10-20 gallons is never enough. For a 20 gallon tank you need one way bigger.

Here is info on the nitrogen cycle:

Here is an article on fishless cycling.

bob1077

k

we took in some water with the dead fish and they said the water was fine

Sepehr

Who said? Your LFS?
You used tap water? If yes, So you had to treat the water!

AllieSten

Yes but what does "fine" mean? I mean it could mean absolutely anything. You need actual numbers. 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 5+ Nitrates and a stable pH. Fish stores rarely get it right. That's why most of us test ourselves.

Test strips can help. The API test strips are garbage. Tetra 6 in 1 are pretty accurate though. You absolutely need to get an ammonia tester though, and the test strips don't test for Ammonia.

Next time you have the fish store test your water. Make them write down the results. You need actual numbers to prove it is "fine"

Mr. Grim

I had a couple of questions that could also help.

1. How long has the tank been up n running?
2. Did the bubbles appear shortly after adding new fish? This could cause stress and lead to ich.
3. Did you have these catfish and angel all at the same time? If so this could be an aggressive environment.

bob1077

it wasn't my lfs we go rarther than normal to get better fish at a store where tend to know more and they said it was good I have been there a lot before

I had a couple of questions that could also help.
1. the tank is about 3-4 months
2. the bubbles appered about a week after
3. yes but they all kept to themselves

Blue Bea

I have to ask, were the bubbles on their skin? If so, it could have been Ich. You may want to go and look at pictures of Ich to be sure. If so, they would have needed to be medicated. Having an uncycled tank with unknown water parameters can make them susceptible to Ich. Get an API Master Test Kit, test your water with it, and post the results so we can figure out if there is an issue with your water.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Steve O
Replies
Views
Algonquin
Replies
Views
cooperjoe
Replies
Views