Bubble Wall As Aquarium Aerator?

QueenLittleLizard

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I need something to help aerate my tank. I was looking online, and I keep seeing these "Bubble Walls". They seem to be tubes of some sort that have foam on the outside, and they use an air pump to create a "wall" of bubbles. I have a small tank (3 gallons) and am wondering if these "Bubble Walls" will work to aerate my tank. They seem to be the most available option. Will these work to aerate my tank? How well? And is there something that would be better?
Here are a few examples of a "Bubble Wall":

wem21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What are you keeping in the 3 gal? Some species may not need an aerator, and the species fit for a 3 gal most probably dont

QueenLittleLizard

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a couple of things I'm thinking of getting, and an expert(?) of sorts has told me I should get an aerator. He knows what he's doing.

QueenLittleLizard

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Also, I don't personally like the expression "Kill two birds with one stone". I would recommend subbing it for "pet two cats with one hand", or something like that. It's your choice though.

QueenLittleLizard

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes, that's what most people have said. But, given that this person has always given me reliable knowledge in the past, I am inclined to believe him. He has also taken care of around 50 tanks, big and small, at the same time. This is why I didn't specify what I was going to put in the tank, I just need to know if a bubble wall will work as an aerator.

wem21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well yes it would work, but not as well as proper aerators, but I doubt you need one for a few Tetras and paradise fish. They're not suitable for a 3 gallon, but some shrimp would do well in that tank

QueenLittleLizard

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't mean to seem like I'm just randomly doing things I want to. I am simply taking the advice of someone who I know is reliable. I'm sorry if I came across that way. Is there something else you would recommend?

Pat93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Cool I was just checking lol.
Small tanks can be perfectly acceptable with the correct planting,water conditions, and water change schedules. If your friend oversees that many tanks he/she probably knows those things and is advising you properly, just make sure to follow his/her advice on those things to a T especially in a tank this small. And especially if you are new yourself to the hobby.

But it says valued member next to your name so I think maybe not?
Regardless Once you learn why your doing those things then you can play with bending the rules a bit.

If you just want an aeration stone then get a little bubble stone and the lowest flow air pump you can.

Often my nano tanks are next to my large tanks.
So what I do is split a line off of the main tanks air hose with a flow restrictor on it.

I would advise just finding a small sponge filter most people say if you have a nano tank and it’s gonna have a hose in it why waste the space with just an aeration stone when a sponge filter does both and can be partially hidden, you can even just put the air stone in a sponge and make sure the bubbles come up through the sponge.
I’ve seen dudes grow blackworms in 2 inches of water in ten gallon tanks that way, a lot of them, and that’s a big bioload.

Experimentation is part of this hobby so if you try it and the fish stays healthy and it works for you then in my opinion nothing wrong is being done.
Good luck to you!
Also sorry I hadn’t had my coffee when I made the first post lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom