bubble tipped anemone care. 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Anemones' started by fishaddiction, Dec 27, 2012.

1. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

I was wondering if I could get a bubble tipped anemone for my newly set up tank I used live rock and live sand plus I only have my lfs water so my tank is cycled. I keep reading anemones move is it true if so do I still use aquarium glue to stick them onto a rock and my plan was to feed myosis shrimp to it and the other fish is that ok? Also is there things I need to know about anemones? I do know there inverdabrates but I figured it would be ok. Ill test my ammonia and nitrites soon and I'll have my lfs test my ph and such so I will update that. Also do I need to put in iodine and could you guys explain it to me because I'm still clueless about iodine it makes know sense to me.

2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi,

I wouldn't get a 'nem now. I had the misfortune of receiving a 'nem with my tank and it ended up killing all my livestock. Anemones need a really well cycled tank. I really wouldn't glue one to a piece of rock or glass. "nems move to the place where they will do best most of the time. So if you glue them in one area they could do pretty badly because it isn't the best place for them. Plus the glue might burn their foot.

I think you need to wait another couple weeks before adding anything to your tank. I helped set up a tank with live rock, live sand, and pre-made saltwater and it still took three weeks to cycle all the die off from the live rock. But definitely test your water when you have time :).

I wouldn't add any trace elements just yet. I don't add any to my tank and it has been set up a while.

3. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

My tank has nothing in it at the moment and all I was going to put in it is 1 clownfish, 1 Jawfish, 1 mandarin fish, and maybe 1 shrimp (not all at once)

4. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Hmm... I know nothing about Jawfish to be honest. I would get a pair of clowns personally. They seem to keep each other entertained when you have a male and female.When buying clowns you are supposed to buy a big one and a small one because the larger one will become female and the smaller will become male. Definitely skip the Mandarin Dragonet for now. They apparently eat exclusively copepods and you will need a really well established refugium to provide enough copepods for it to eat.

As for shrimp I'd go for a skunk shrimp! They are really cool and are cleaner shrimp. Peppermint shrimp are cheaper but I don't know if they are cleaners or not. The really dark red shrimp hide a lot during the day. I think they're called Blood Red Fire Shrimp or something.

5. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi fishaddiction,
    Definitely hold off on getting a 'nem until the tank is cycled. Before getting a 'nem:
    - Lighting: What sort of lighting do you have? Anemones do best under high light
    - Flow: How much flow do you have? Anemones are primarily filter feeders, and rely on flow to eat. They also benefit from target feeding of meaty foods like silversides, mussels and the like
    - Nutrients: Anemones need low nutrient systems, nitrates under 5ppm (preferably under 2ppm), phosphates less than 0.5ppm

It is generally recommended that anemones be added to an established system (8-12 months), with stable parameters. Too, I would recommend adding the anemone before placing other corals (from experience). You definitely don't place/glue anemones in place. They will wander the tank to find a spot that suits them in terms of lighting, flow and somewhere their foot is secure and protected.

Mandarin's - personally I feel these should be left in the wild. That aside, they are one of the most difficult species to keep in captivity. As Rogue pointed out, they feed exclusively on copepods, UNLESS you can find captive bred, which may accept other foods.

Shrimp - the skunk (aka redline) is one of the best all round cleaners. Peppermints are great scavengers, and also help to control aiptasia, but they do hide all day.

Iodine supplements - IME, not required. With regular water changes, the trace elements are replenished.

I also recommend waiting until the cycle is complete before adding any live stock. Most SW are hand-caught from the wild, and have never been exposed to ammonia, nitrites. Subjecting them to an unstable cycling tank is asking for problems IMO.

6. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

Ok thanks for the tips :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice