Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Bubble Packed Stuck To Substrate Rock??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Fellowmellow, Apr 6, 2019.

1. FellowmellowNew MemberMember

Sorry if am not posting in the correct form but I just spotted this very odd looking bubble pouch thing suck to my substrate.. I am wondering if my corydoras made it... please help

Sorry for the picture is hard to see heres a much closer look

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2019
  2. MaximumRide14Well Known MemberMember

Do you have any pest snails in your tank? It looks like pest snail eggs to me.

3. FellowmellowNew MemberMember

Why yes I do I didnt expect them to lay eggs like this I thought they did it above water there just random snails that came with some duck weed from a friend I guess they are mating. In the picture is the snail I have 4 of them about the same size or bigger

Attached Files:

4. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Yup, snail eggs. Not all lay them above the water line. I dont know a ton about snails, theyre illegal here in Maine, but I thought only Mystery Snails laid eggs above the water line.

5. MaximumRide14Well Known MemberMember

They grow fast and become annoying very quickly. You can expect a bunch of them to reproduce. I recommend carefully removing the eggs if you can. If there's too much force on them, they will burst. Some keep them growing to use as fish food or some just like to keep them around. I personally think they're annoying, but it's just preference.

6. FellowmellowNew MemberMember

Good morning and they definitely are reproducing but this one snail is very different from the rest can anyone help me identify this snail??

Attached Files:

7. AngryRainbowValued MemberMember

That is some type of ramshorn snail. I have no experience with them, but I think they're typically considered pests as well because they also reproduce out of control?

Not positive on the reproduction part, someone else may have more info

8. toosieFishlore VIPMember

They do indeed! Swamps around these parts are full of them. Ours are a deeper brown, but a ramshorn is a ramshorn as far as I'm concerned. :)

9. StrippedDinosaurValued MemberMember

Be careful, ramshorns breed like rabbits and you’ll be overrun very quickly. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to get rid of them before they hatch.
    I had a friend buy 2 of them and within months his tank was snails from top to bottom.

10. toosieFishlore VIPMember

Or buy a loach. ;)

11. FellowmellowNew MemberMember

Thank you. My friends been wanting ramshorns and told me that's like no other hes seen it came with the other ones in some local fish store duckweed great cleaners for free I have to say

Say I put 5 these bigger snails in my 5g would a rosy loach (if I can get my hands on one) will the rosy loach eat up the bigger ones or should I let there be a population before adding the loach I still want then to coexist...

12. toosieFishlore VIPMember

In truth, I would have to google a rosy loach to know how effective it would be on snail population, and trust what google says... My yoyo's are pretty effective. They don't totally eradicate my MTS (I like my MTS), but they've proved pretty effective on any pests.

13. FellowmellowNew MemberMember

How do you keep your yoyo can they fit in 5g 10g? More less? Temperatures? I've never owned a loach or pleco will loachs kill shrimp? I should go to google.....

14. toosieFishlore VIPMember

I have 3 in a 75g. I don't think you'd want to keep them in anything less than maybe a 50. They are very active and like to use a lot of the tank. I actually don't know of any that would be good in a small tank. Sorry. But yes, most would think the shrimp are devine little morsels I'm afraid.

I did have a look at the rosy on google. What a cute little loach! And maybe it would eat the freshly hatched. But I don't think it will handle much of a size.

15. FellowmellowNew MemberMember

Great! thanks for sharing I knew I should have got that rosy the minute I saw it at petco lol