bubble nests

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Is there a particular age when bettas start building bubble nests? My Lilex has been building like crazy the last week or so for no apparent reason. Is it just a pasttime for them? I just had to take a moth out of his water because it was floating toward the bubble nest and he was getting very upset.

any suggestions?

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
A moth???

I don't know. I've had 3 bettas (including the present one) and the last two show(ed) no interest in building them that I could see apart from blowing a few bubbles now and then. I think perhaps the water needs to be fairly still for them to be able to. But it basically signals a desire to mate. It seems like they do it a lot in the earlier time of their sexual maturity.

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
LOL ... the moth came in from outside. I was just asking about the bubble nest because he hadn't started doing until recently. Didn't know if there was any significance in when they started it.

Thanks.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
he must be a fairly young male. usually the bettas bought at the fish stores are beyond their prime for breeding and may never build a bubblenest in your tanks. they are symbols of contentment as well as harbingers of breeding. It is a wonderful thing to be greeted by a bubblenest and know that all is well in your little man's world.

Rose

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm certainly glad he's happy! :) Ironically though my Jesse built bubble nests for a long time even close to his passing. He had been building them pretty much the whole time I had him. That is why I wanted to ask about Lilex because he had just started building them all of a sudden.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
LOL don't worry. As we say around here all the time, it depends on the Betta. When you have a fish with personality, you have as many personalities as there are fish. LOL I have never heard of it being an omen.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom