Bubble nesting??

goldengill

Reaction score
My Mom had a Betta for 2 years in a small fish bowl not knowing any better. He never made bubbles. He wasn't very happy for obvious reasons, but Mom really didn't know why. Now she has a new one Betta and thought he would enjoy a one gallon bowl. He's making bubble nests every day.

First off, now that I have been on this site for a few weeks, I have convinced Mom she is being cruel by keeping him in such a small home. She has finally agreed that she'll make the plunge to a 5 gallon tank. She's 79 and was worried about the maintenance. I assured her I would hep if she needed it. Meanwhile, we are wondering what the purpose of the bubble nest is and is it OK that he makes one everyday? It will be at least 4 more days before we can a new home. I assume it should still go through a regular cycle first? Any suggestions about assisting in the move?

Thanks,
Goldengill

rip_van_winkle

Valued Member
Reaction score
The bubble nests are good! It shows that your betta is in good condition to breed, not that you need to or anything. It shows that he is healthy and happy. When a male sees a female he may also do it.
This I know

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If a betta doesn't make a nest it can still be a happy betta. our 2 males haven't been doing any bubble nesting in their 10 gallon tanks. sometimes a bubble nest is him in the mood, a storm might be approaching or he's just a betta that likes to build bubble nests. it's fine for him to do as much as he wants.

if you want to speed up the cycle (and lighten your wallet), get biospira and cycle the tank fast. Otherwise you could do a fishless cycling on the tank.

One way to do the move is: When you move the betta, scoop him into a big bowl/cup and acclimate him to his new water. empty some of the water in the bowl carefully so he doesn't fall out, then float it in the tank, adding some tank water to the bowl every half hour or so (you can vary the time somewhat i've found). after 3 or 4 times adding tank water, you can let him out if the water temps are nearly the same, which they should be by then.. keep the tank lid down when not adding water so he doesn't jump out of the tank.

goldengill

Reaction score
Thanks guys! My Mom will be happy that her Betta is happy . Can the biospira be used with the fish in the tank already? I might use it for my 40 gallon that lost it's cycle from meds last week.

thanks!
Goldengill

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes, it's fine to add the fish with the biospira so that shouldn't be a problem adding it to a tank with fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom