Bubble nest, already?! Food question and snails?

Demonskid

So, Sei arrived here on Wednesday of last week. He's in a Large Specimen Container, (which is still pretty small) quarantining.

I woke up this morning to tiny bubbles in the specimen box! At first it looked like the sponge filter had been turned off (a cat may have knocked the USB loose from the plug), and the bubbles were in the middle and along the right side of the box. I accidentally hit the USB and port with my foot when I moved to get a closer look, and the bubbles went to all sides. (Sadness) I really wanted photos of the nest in the middle.

But being in such a small QT container, daily water changes (sometimes twice a day), not been here a full week, and I may be over feeding, and he's made a bubble nest!

BETTA SEI BUBBLEZ1.jpg

Also, betta feeding question: So far he only seems to like the betta pellets, freeze dry blood worms, and the betta flakes. The pellets, he'll only eat about 1-2 of, so that's all I'm gonna give him in the morning and evenings. The container says three times a day, but it also says to feed as much as they can eat with in two minutes and my friend told me to not follow that rule. So I'm dropping down to 2 pellets per meal, but should I do three times a day or stick with 2?

I'd like to get actual frozen blood worms but I can't find any on amazon. I've no transportation to a store to see if they have any. Anyone know of a place that can ship the frozen stuff?

Also, is there a way to measure out the amount of betta flakes? I've been using this tiny spoon, no idea where I got it from. Basically I just add just a tiny scoop that covers the tip of the spoon and that's it. But if there is a better measuring method, I'd like to know. I'm scared I'll over feed him. He's my first betta.

foodspoon.jpg

Also.. Some pond snails have broken into his QT, and the shells are now empty. Do betta fish eat snails? Is he part pea puffer? Should I be worried about him eating the snails? Is this a sign of I'm actually not feeding him enough, or something worse?

BigManAquatics

I typically feed all my fish once a day, sometimes 2 times, including bettas. That spoon looks like a decent way to measure. I would say a pinch but we all have different sized fingers so a pinch is pretty different for everyone! As far as frozen....not sure where to order as the trick is to keep it frozen. In my area, i have noticed that i think it is Petsmart advertises "same day door dash delivery", might be worth looking at for you.

Demonskid

Thanks! I'll check out the petsmart website.

I have long nails so a pinch is, what ever I get in my fingers AND what gets stuck in my nails. xD Far too much.

Are all frozen bloodworms in the form of blocks? How do you feed a block to a betta? Though, that'll be useful for the pleco's for sure.

BigManAquatics

Thanks! I'll check out the petsmart website.

I have long nails so a pinch is, what ever I get in my fingers AND what gets stuck in my nails. xD Far too much.

Are all frozen bloodworms in the form of blocks? How do you feed a block to a betta? Though, that'll be useful for the pleco's for sure.
When i had 3 betta tanks, i would cut the frozen blocks into thirds and give each tank 1 of those 3rds. Now my 45, it gets 2 whole blocks cuz the number of fish. Though i do usually grab a small pinch once they thaw for another tank with only a couple of fish.

Demonskid

When i had 3 betta tanks, i would cut the frozen blocks into thirds and give each tank 1 of those 3rds. Now my 45, it gets 2 whole blocks cuz the number of fish. Though i do usually grab a small pinch once they thaw for another tank with only a couple of fish.
I see. I think I found a bag of the worms just frozen.

What about the snails that I'm sure he's eating. Is that a bad thing? Should I be worried?

BigManAquatics

I see. I think I found a bag of the worms just frozen.

What about the snails that I'm sure he's eating. Is that a bad thing? Should I be worried?
I wouldn't.

BigManAquatics

I would worry of there was a particular snail you were trying to keep though lol!! Especially a mystery...they expose a lot of soft tissue.

Demonskid

I would worry of there was a particular snail you were trying to keep though lol!! Especially a mystery...they expose a lot of soft tissue.
No mystery snails here. Bladders, Ponds, and Ramshorns so far. I'd like to get some trumpet or rabbit snails. The substrate sifters!
My nerite, Gomera, is gonna stay with the shrimp. Especially now that I know Sei likes escargot.

awilkinson871

Be careful adding any snails to the betta tank. They often kill them. Trumpets can reproduce like crazy and rabbits need a huge tank because they get really big.

Demonskid

Be careful adding any snails to the betta tank. They often kill them. Trumpets can reproduce like crazy and rabbits need a huge tank because they get really big.
The main tank is 40g, Sei is quarantining right now, as I just got him.

How big do rabbit snails get?

awilkinson871

The last one I saw at the store was 6 inches long. They are recommended for a 30 gallon or larger tank.

Demonskid

The last one I saw at the store was 6 inches long. They are recommended for a 30 gallon or larger tank.
That's a big snail. No wonder they're more expensive.

awilkinson871

They also expose ALOT of flesh so if your betta has a taste for snails I don't think I would add it.

Demonskid

I think I'll go with the trumpets then. Breed them a good amount then release them into the tank.

awilkinson871

I doubt you will have to breed them. They can start having babies at about 4 months old and can reproduce asexually.

Demonskid

I doubt you will have to breed them. They can start having babies at about 4 months old and can reproduce asexually.
I still want to have a few 'spares' just in case a snail massacre happens in the future. I have substrate in my plant quarantine tank so I'll could use spares anyway.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mrsP
  • Question
5 Gallon Tank Bubble nest!!!
Replies
Views
Magua
Replies
Views
Ellebrius