Bubble in the tank

1. jimmy Initiate Member

hey my name is jimmy and im new to the saltwater era. I just had a quick question ..........i purchased a protein skimmer (saline 60 hang on skimmer , with airstone), and i am getting way too many bubbles inside the tank.... my question is A) is that a bad thing? and B) how can i get rid of this..........by the way this is an awsome forum and website.

2. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Hey jimmy,

Sounds like your skimmer is not tweaked correctly yet. I've found that it can be an art trying to get the optimum air flow and water flow on a protein skimmer. Is there any way you can decrease the amount of air flow into the skimmer? Sometimes you have to mess with the air flow and/or the water flow to get that optimum setting.

Later,
    Mike

3. jimmy Initiate Member

hey mike,

yes there is a way to decrease air flow into the skimmer via the air pump. However even when i decrease the air pressure to lower, the bubbles are still visable in the tank (many of them)..... I was thinking if a bubble- trap might work more effeciently in this case?, not sure....

4. NanoAddict Member Member

maybe if you raise the water level slightly less bubbles will be pulled into the fish tank

5. teddybear22482 Member Member

you might try a gang valve to regulate the airflow to your skimmer?? they are super cheap too! Like a buck or 2. Would hurt much to try it...