Bubble curtain vs. filter intake

Discussion in 'Air Pumps' started by hunterjacob, Apr 1, 2010.

1. h

hunterjacob New Member Member

I have a 60 gallon tank that's 48 inches long. I had put an air stone in it to increase aeration while I was getting the cycle going and decided I liked the look of the bubbles. So I installed a bubble curtain going all the way along the back side of the tank. I really like the look it gives. The only problem is, my filter intake hangs at the top of the tank along the back, and it's pulling in a lot of the air causing my filter to cavitate. It's a Magnum 350 canister filter. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Is there anything I can do to prevent the cavitation? Or do I just need to shorten the curtain so that it doesn't feed air up towards the intake? I think it will look lame if the curtain only goes until the last four of five inches of the tank.

2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore Hunter. :;hi2

Either shorten the bubble curtain or run it under the substrate & move it out & away from where the filter intake is. I'm assuming you can't move the filter intake to a different location? That would be the easiest thing to do & it's certainly the method I would employ.

3. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Only other solution is to put the filter on the side of your tank, But that depends on your hood and lighting arrangements. I've had a HOT Magnum filter for over 24 years...and it does not like air in the intake.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice