Brush Alge

1. Neil Member Member

2. midnightwolf Well Known Member Member

hmmm have you tried a Snail or maybe Ottos the love to eat alge maybe those would get rid of it. good luck.

3. Nate McFin Well Known Member Member

Brush algae is caused by low co2 levels. General rule for brush algae would be to clean out as much as possible and then spot treat remaining areas with Seachems Flourish Excel. Once removed increase Co2 be it through DIY, pressurized, or continued dosing of Flourish Excel.

4. Neil Member Member

Been using excel for over 3 months. going to take the plants and put them in peroxide this week and see what happens.
    Dont want to add to the tank, 20gal and my resent 6 new rosy barb fry's already technical make it crowded.

5. Nate McFin Well Known Member Member

How long are your lights on and what is the wattage? The peroxide should help. Double dosing excel is not unheard of either but do so at your own risk...lol

6. Neil Member Member

20gal, 30 wats. . 8:30am to 5:30 pm with light interruption mid day for 45min. (no direct natural light)
    use a full cap with each water change, did it weekly the last 3 times, tomorrow will be 9 days since the change.

7. Nate McFin Well Known Member Member

Lights look good. You do add the Flourish at 1ml per 50 glns every day to every other day as well as the larger amount during water changes right?
    Either way the peroxide should help. It should turn red as it dies.

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

9. Neil Member Member

SO I had no luck with the Peroxide. I used 35%, in a bowl of 3L, 1 drop the first day, waited a couple days then 2 drops, then another couple days and added 4 drops and then another 4 drops, no effect. I then just left it another week to see if it would starve out, no luck, the leaves are a bit stressed but thats it.
    I did a water change today and put them back in.
    :(

Attached Files:

10. Regal Well Known Member Member

If you get a little syringe for liquid medicine you can squirt it directly onto the algae in the tank. The algae will start to bubble right away and in a few hours it will die and turn bright purple. I've read about people using 1-2 ml per gallon but I just used a few syringes full (so like 15 ml) in my 55 gallon and the fish didn't even seem to notice. Of course, it will keep coming back as long as the conditions in the tank are suitable for it.

In my other tank I pulled out every plant that had any in it and added two SAEs and they seem to keep it in check. They're the only fish known to eat BBA.

11. Neil Member Member

Thanks! the other fish do nibble on it but not enough.

12. eiginh Well Known Member Member

Do all your plants have brush algae? Or only certain plants? An LFS told me that bba is also caused by fast currents and I noticed that most of my plants that were under my hob had bba but the plants towards the right of it didn't. I agree with Nate about spot treating it with flourish excel. I also double the dose of flourish excel and my fish are doing great. Good luck!