Bruise or worse

Sarafike

Hi. So I woke up to my blue guy having a redish spot near his back side. I keep reading fish cant bruise and its something more severe. He is acting normal, so are all my other fish. Sorry he's a little shy best I could do. But I have 20 gallon with 3 other gourami (they don't fight), 5 neon tetras, 2 black/white skirt tetras and a few corey catfish and ghost shrimp. Should I just wait, or go buy some medicine

Ghelfaire

Not a lot of medication is safe for shrimp/corydoras. Can you separate him? If he is sick you may want to separate him anyway.

What are your water parameters? What is your water change schedule?

Your gouramis may not fight but skirt tetras can be aggressive unless kept in large schools.
What's that other fish in the second picture? It doesn't look like any of the fish you listed.

Sarafike

Ghelfaire said:
Not a lot of medication is safe for shrimp/corydoras. Can you separate him? If he is sick you may want to separate him anyway.

What are your water parameters? What is your water change schedule?

Your gouramis may not fight but skirt tetras can be aggressive unless kept in large schools.
What's that other fish in the second picture? It doesn't look like any of the fish you listed.
Im unsure of the water I need to buy test strips but as far as water changes go. I have had these for one week exactly (6/13/20) but I usually do changes about every week to week and half at most. The temperature sits around 75 for everyone. The white one is a skirt tetra and the orange one is a gourami (looks pretty weird haha). Im probably going end up buying more strips tomorrow or the day after. I did put Melafix in the tank, and a API general cure.

Ghelfaire

See the orange one looked like a betta from that angle. I just wanted to make sure you weren't mixing the two in the same tank. Are all the gourami dwarf gourami or do you have a couple of types in there?
Did you cycle the tank before adding any fish?
With that stocking you might want to make sure you are doing a 50% change every week.
Also make sure you take any carbon out of your filter when dosing a tank with meds.

Sarafike

I only have dwarf gouramis. But I do see how it does look like a betta. That would just be a bad idea lol. I should be doing a water change either today or tomorrow since today there's a lot going on but I did cycle the tank my 10g before adding the fish and it took 3 hours to completely set up the new 20g tank, and add the new fish, the old fish and make sure everyone was happy.

Ghelfaire

Wait so is the 20g cycled or no? It takes more than 3 hours to cycle a tank. It's sounding like an ammonia burn.

Sarafike

Ghelfaire said:
Wait so is the 20g cycled or no? It takes more than 3 hours to cycle a tank. It's sounding like an ammonia burn.
Yes it is a 20g. I originally had a 10g I let run for a month with changes about week and half (we had shrimp and catfish in there). But when we got fish, we decided on a 20g. We also added conditioned water, live bacteria, and let it run for an hour. While waiting we let the fish go in the 10g with some of the "old" water. Then transferred them and they all seemed fine. But if it was a burn wouldn't the other fish have it too? Because he stills acts normal, as the other fish.

Ghelfaire

Some fish are more sensitive than others.
Again even with live bacteria it takes more than an hour to cycle. Tank decorations and filter media carry more live bacteria than old tank water.
What you are doing is a fish in cycle. With all those fish in there you probably overwhelmed what bacteria you had in the first place.

DoubleDutch

To be honest I think it is a sign of DG disease.

Sarafike

DoubleDutch said:
To be honest I think it is a sign of DG disease.
You were right. He belly was a little swollen, and he changed color and got lethargic. I quarantined him and am keeping an eye on the other fish.

We ended up with is being sudden gouramis disease. After we put her in quarantine we noticed her belly was slightly swollen, she was having trouble keeping upright. I looked up the symptoms and they matched to a tee. She did pass tonight. We are keeping an eye on the others to make sure they are okay. We did a 50% conditioned water change. I appreciate everyone's input and help.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom