BRP color when small

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My petsmart has large BRPs for $25, but they have smaller ones that are a kinda muddy-green color for $10. The only thing with the small ones is that they call them blood parrots instead of red blood parrots. Are these the same fish, will the small ones grow and change color or will they stay that color? I would hate to have to pay $25 for them when I could pay $10.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I got my first two, they were listed as blood parrots and one is orange with some black markings and one is black. Cost was $20 each.

The orange one has stayed the same color, the black one has stayed mostly the same, but she does fade out sometimes and it appears that she's ready to mature into whatever her adult coloring will be.

The third one I got was listed as a blood red parrot and he goes from a medium orange to a deep reddish orange in color. Cost was $30.

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a BRP, and have looked into others. I aquired mine from my cousin who was moving, so I went to some of the LFS and checked out some other types. The BRP's are SUPER EXPENSIVE no matter where i go....anywhere from 20 to 75 dollars a piece. I have also seen Jellybean parrots who are super tiny compared to my BRP, and start out at about 7 and go to about 15 dollars. Then there are some other types I have seen that are not BRP's but are the same size different colors or have no color and they have a varied range on price too. I think the pricing just varies depending on the fish because they are a hybrid and they cannot breed amongst themselves, the females will lay eggs but the males are sterile. I know that still does not answer the question on coloring and price but its a possibility as to why. Ken is our BRP expert definately wait for him he will be able to answer far better than me.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks!
Yeah I am kinda hoping Ken will comment on here. All I need to know is if those little green ones will grow into the orange ones.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello NMFishman,

I have moved your thread to the Hybrids/Parrot Cichlid section of the forum.

NM, the only green Bloody Parrots that I've seen were dyed. If this is the case then they will eventually turn orange over several months. The dye will completely fade away. A true Blood Red Parrot or Bloody Parrot as I like to call them, is a vibrant orange as an adult. They are usually Orange with black and brown patches as juveniles.

While they are juveniles they may be covered in black patches and they all should fade away. While they're young the black patches may come and go.

My local Walmart sells Bloody Parrots (they call them Purple Parrots for some strange reason) for $8.00. My PetCo (right across the street from Walmart sells the Bloody Parrots for $25.00) Big difference there.

Although I don't condone the practice of dyeing fish, in this day and age if you can save a $ then I would. Dyed or not these fish need homes just like any other fish. I have 3 Bloody Parrots that had been dyed, they were blue, and the dye faded. The fish turned white and then turned orange. They are over 5 years old now.

Please note: This thread topic is not about the practice of dyeing fish and I won't let it turn into a debate about the practice. Everyone has their own opinion on the matter pros and cons and that's all that needs to be said on the subject.

Ken

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dark greenish/brownish/grayish/mottled parrots are not dyed. They are just juveniles. They will mature into the orange coloration as they get older.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you Harpua I only have the Orange Adults here and juvies that are black and orange. That's great to know!

Ken

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, petstores always seem to charge a lot more for the ones that are already showing orange. The one I have was grown out from a little grayish-black mottled looking juvie. It had no orange coloration at all. Just like the ones mentioned above, I got mine for about $8 from a chain store. I've had the fish for about 7 years now and it is as orange as the one in your avatar. The process generally takes a long time IME, but can vary greatly from fish to fish.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree Harpua, I think it took mine almost two years to stop turning black and stay a solid orange.

I couldn't believe that I found some at WalMart for $8. (after I bought all of mine) I've been paying $25 to $30 for the exact same fish.

Ken

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you so much Ken and Harpua!
One more question: If I got two do you think it would be alright if I got one small and one big or should I get them both the same size?
I am going to be away for six weeks soon and I don't want to get anymore fish till after I get back so I have time to think about if I will get the big ones or the small ones.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Which of your tanks are you planning on getting the parrots for? They can get pretty big..... just ask Ken. His are practically the size of dinner plates.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello NMFishman,

I would recommend buying them small. You may have many more years of enjoyment with them if you do. Too, they may be cheaper than the large ones.
Yes, they can get large. My largest is 9x6.5".
Ken

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Which of your tanks are you planning on getting the parrots for? They can get pretty big..... just ask Ken. His are practically the size of dinner plates.
the 55gal with start date 4/26/10

Thanks Ken that is what I will do!

Last edited:

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you have pics of your 55 anywhere? It sounds like it's a pretty tank.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom