Brownish stuff on my decorations? (Not algae)

Ay1a

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey everyone, I have a problem (I think?) and as you can see in the pictures some brownish stuff is appearing on my bettas little bridge and pot, I don't *think* it's algae but then again what do I know.

So yup, just looking to see if this is harmful to the fish in any way or if I need to take the decor out and scrub it clean or something.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Attachments

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
looks like diatoms to me, if this is the case then they are unsightly, but harmless and will go away in time.

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm not sure what others think this is, but in my opinion it is algae. My algae eater ate all of the brown stuff I had on my plants. I'm sure that you will get all not more advice soon, the people on here are really knowledgeable. Good luck.

Ay1a

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ahh so it is algae. >.<
Dang... But thanks for identifying it for me.
Hopefully it will go away soon, or I can always google a solution now that I know what it is... again thanks.

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A way to cut down on the amount would be to leave the lights off more often and keep the tank out of direct sunlight IMO. Good Luck cleaning, just don't clean with soap or sink water only dechlorinated water.

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I clean it off at water change, but it comes right back.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have that too, but only on the terracotta thing in one of my betta sections, the other bettas have non-terracotta decor and it seems to take forever for the brown stuff to appear (if it ever does). Unfortunately at the moment, that tank gets the sun, but will be moving as soon as I get a stand for it.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
diatoms are a new tank type of algae...it can come and go for up to a year ...and sometimes longer...its more of an eye sore for humans but doesn't bother the fish

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have diatoms in my tank currently. I just wipe it off my plants during water changes.

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yep my ten gal is still battling diatoms here and there and the tank has been running for about 3 months now. I just wipe it down once a week and clean the plants as well. Wipes right off

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JustinF said:
A way to cut down on the amount would be to leave the lights off more often and keep the tank out of direct sunlight IMO. Good Luck cleaning, just don't clean with soap or sink water only dechlorinated water.
I was told the exact opposite and it helped me. I had diatoms as well but unlike green algae I was told they show up in low light tanks. I upped my lighting from 8 hours a day to ten hours a day and they went away. My other plants grew more and took the nutrients the diatoms needed to grow.

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Looks like diatoms to me and I should know. My 29 gallon has had them for 4-5 months now. They seemed to have finally slowed down their growth at least.

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
flyin-lowe said:
I was told the exact opposite and it helped me. I had diatoms as well but unlike green algae I was told they show up in low light tanks. I upped my lighting from 8 hours a day to ten hours a day and they went away. My other plants grew more and took the nutrients the diatoms needed to grow.
Propably true in a planted tank, but mine is not and I had the lights on for 10 hours a day. The lights on just seem to make it worse for me, guess each case may be different IMO.

Ay1a

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Alright everyone, thanks for the information and sorry for getting back to this thread so late, lol went to bed early.

Guess I'm just going to wipe down everything once a month and be good to go.
Thanks for all of the help.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
flyin-lowe said:
That is correct. Diatoms do not like light. The only downside to trying to get rid of Diatoms with more light, is you might start encourging green algae. (Sometimes it seems like you just can't win!)

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads