Brown Worms On Leaves Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by TenLittleTui, Apr 19, 2018.

1. TenLittleTui

TenLittleTuiNew MemberMember

Hi, I have a new tank that is having an issue with weird brown wormy squiggles on the leaves of my plants. When I turn my filter off I can see tiny thin brown worms wiggling out from inside the bigger squiggles, these worms are very bendy and move like an 'S'. When I brush the squiggles with my fingers they mostly break apart, though some need a bit more pressure than others. I noticed a few of them on one leaf three days ago, a few on other leaves the next day. I didn't think much of it and did a 60% water change that night. Yesterday almost every leaf in my tank had them. There are now some on the carnelian stones I have for decoration too.

For history, my tank has been going for about 6 weeks now in total, the first two were for cycling then added my first fish at the end of that fortnight. It's my first tank and I did a bunch of research on cycling before I started. In my fourth/fifth week had a problem with a weird brown substance I think was algae growing on my leaves, but my a worker at my LFS told me to try leaving the lights on longer (12-14 hours) which did seem to help clear it up. It's mostly all gone now. I also know I had tiny 1mm long nematodes in the water as I took a sample to work to look at under the microscope which I'm not seeing much anymore.

My tank specifications are:
    38L - 10.04G
    Inbuilt LED lights and top trickle filter (which has sintered glass noodles, activated carbon sponge and filter wool in it)
    gravel with root tabs for my plants

2 corydoras habrosus
    1 brown ramshorn snail (maybe two, they are very tiny but I've only been seeing one recently. There were two last week but I worry I killed/lost one during a water change :C )

Temp: 26C / 79F
    pH: 6.8
    ammonia: 0-0.25 (I always get this reading even from fresh tap water, the colour is inbetween)
    nitrites: 0
    nitrates: 5.0

I know I have issues with overfeeding because my two fish are so small, I'm planning to get more so they have a proper school but I don't want to while I have this strange breakout of wormy squiggles in case it's dangerous.

Does anyone know what it is and what I can do to get rid of it?

IMG20180420085550.jpgIMG20180419231736.jpgIMG20180420085615.jpgIMG20180420085652.jpg

2. SegiDream

SegiDreamWell Known MemberMember

Although there's no closeups, I'm thinking it's probably detritus worms which are harmless. This is somewhat normal with a new tank and plants and overfeeding. Just cut back on feeding, keep up with tank maintenance and their numbers should go down with time. I don't know if a feeding tray to keep the substrate a little cleaner will work for cories?

When I set up my shrimp tank (dirted and planted) I had an explosive outbreak of detritus worms and limpets. I didn't overfeed but I assume the dirt was the culprit behind the outbreak. With time and careful feedings, I rarely see any worms now. Still some limpets left but not like the zombie apocalypse it was before that's for sure.

3. OP
    OP
    TenLittleTui

TenLittleTuiNew MemberMember

Okay, that does make me feel much better. Thank you very much for the info and advice.

I've been putting their food on the largest bit of carnelian like a plate and they always find it so maybe a feeding tray would be a really good idea. I'll look into it. Thanks again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice