Brown thumb - foolproof plant quarantine instructions needed

loverofloaches

Hello,

I have a verified brown thumb. Sadly, few plants in my care survive. I am about to receive one of each of the plants (listed below) in the mail.

Can someone please give me step by step instructions about how to quarantine the new plants? I am not in a hurry - no need to rush the process. I'd rather be sure to avoid disease and snails.

No fish are in the tank. It is cycling.

Cryptocoryne Lucens
Pearl weed
Water Sprite
Dwarf Sagittaria
Micro Sword

Mudminnow

Can someone please give me step by step instructions about how to quarantine the new plants?
While there's always a chance something nasty might come in with your plants, I think the odds are low enough that it's not worth quarantining them. In over 20 years of keeping planted aquariums, I've never quarantined a single plant--not even the ones I collected from the wild. And yet, I haven't run into any problems...yet.

I know this doesn't really answer your question of how to properly QT your plants; I'm sure someone else could answer that better than me. I just wanted to let you know, you don't necessarily have to.
I am not in a hurry - no need to rush the process.
Always good.
I'd rather be sure to avoid disease and snails.
Disease is unlikely. Snails are almost assured. There are dips and things people do to kill snails. Again, others could better explain how that's done. I just embrace them. Snails are interesting in their own right and are generally good for a planted tank. So, again, if you didn't know, you don't necessarily have to worry about the snails either.
No fish are in the tank. It is cycling.
Good. Plants generally adapt quicker to a cycled tank than an uncycled one...less melting and such. If your tank still has a ways to go before it is cycled, that's ok too. Just do more water changes.
Cryptocoryne Lucens
An excellent choice. This is typically one of the most adaptable plants there is. That being said, it may melt on you at first. But, don't despair, it will probably come right back.
Pearl weed
Good choice.
Water Sprite
This is a good choice too. But, I find it can be a little easier to grow floating than rooted sometimes.
Dwarf Sagittaria
Good choice.
Micro Sword
This one may be the toughest one to grow from your list (still a hearty plant though). Sometimes it needs a bit more light, and often it needs some CO2 (depends on your tank).

You say you haven't had the best luck growing plants in the past. Have you tried using soil and an all-in-one fertilizer? Personally, I find these can be game changers.

loverofloaches

Mudminnow Wow! YOU are a gamechanger! This is exactly what I needed. Thank you!! So helpful. Thank you!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
sfeath
Replies
Views
_Fried_Bettas_
Replies
Views
Xandria
Replies
Views