Brown Tap Water

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just drained one of my tanks for a weekly water change. While filling the bucket, I noticed brown-stained water. The hue was subtle at first, until the bucket filled in. I checked the bathroom and toilet and same thing. I decided to walk 2 floors up and fill my bucket there and was willing to make multiple trips in order to do my weekly water changes on multiple tanks. But uh oh, it’s there too. There is no escaping it. I’m going to wait a couple hours and check again. If it’s still brown, then I have no other choice, but to complete the maintenance on that one tank. I’m thinking it’s probably not a big deal, but it doesn’t hurt to be cautious. So anyone else deal with this?

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’ve had foamy water and pink water from the water co doing nastiness. Only time I get brown is from one faucet outside that wasn’t installed correctly and I haven’t had the energy to fix it. Yet.
You have a water main break near you?

RedLoredAmazon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
We had that issue a few months ago. The water was straw colored, not brown, and it made my family sick. We had a water main break in the neighborhood so that caused the water issue. We had to flush all of our lines in the house for it to finally clear. I would recommend calling your water company and reporting the issue and see if they have a time frame for it to be fixed.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don’t know what it is, but I’ll look into it. Never occured to me it could be a water main break (I actually had to Google that). I’m not a handyman or Jack-of-all-trades at all.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just got back to the apartment, and I guess waiting a few hours was all that was needed. Maybe it was a water main break, and it was fixed promptly.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
scarface said:
I don’t know what it is, but I’ll look into it. Never occured to me it could be a water main break (I actually had to Google that). I’m not a handyman or Jack-of-all-trades at all.
My hubby isn’t either. I just finished replacing the shaft on his weedeater. I’m like, sure, let the blind woman figure it out. Lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom