Brown Stuff On My Substrate???

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by FishyFishy628, Apr 23, 2017.

1. FishyFishy628New MemberMember

So this tank has been a pain from day 1. First all the plants were rottingthe bottom halves off, now the gravel has stuff on it.

I was cycling the tank, finally got normal readings a couple days ago. But I looked at it just now and there's this brown, almost rusty looking stuff everywhere. A big patch on the gravel in the front of the tank, some spots on the glass above it, it's growing on my bubbler. It kinda looks like the plants did when they were rotting, could that be it? Is it brown algae? Will it kill my fish if I put them in?

There's also some white deposits on the outside of my filter and along the lid around it. Dunno if that's related.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. Mike AValued MemberMember

The brown stuff is most likely diatoms (brown algae) which is not harmful. It shows up in almost every new tank and eventually does go away. When it builds up though scrape it off and do a water change. The white stuff is probably calcium deposits which isnt harmful, that can also be scraped off when it builds up

3. Castiel*Well Known MemberMember

Get a picture of your filter to be sure, but it most likely is calcium build up.

As mentioned before too, the brown stuff is a diatom bloom, and as Mike said it is normal and harmless. Follow his cleaning instruction and eventually it will clear up.

4. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

I agree with the above diatoms and calcium

5. EternalDancerWell Known MemberMember

What they^ said.

It's unsightly, but harmless. And it does go away.
    Eventually.

6. HerkimurWell Known MemberMember

I like the brown diatoms even in my own tank. It makes it look rustic.
    Also it's proof that you can support life.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice