Brown stuff on my amazon sword

1. joiakimfish Member Member

It may be a bit hard to see but I got brown stuff that I think is Algee on my sword ...but I'm really not sure... And if it is how do I combat it ...It's my only live plant and it has grown a lot since I brought it.. If more pictures are needed ill probably half to take it out of the tank .....

Pr am: 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 10-20
    Temp 78f
    6 tiger barbs

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

You can rub it off with your fingers if it is algae. And to try and minimize algae you can try reducing the amount of time the light is on. Try and avoid too much sunlight on the tank etc......

3. joiakimfish Member Member

I rubbed one of the leafs and it disappears so it must be .....I normally keep my light on from 6 am when I feed them till about 7 pm I don't get home from work till 5 should I just leave it off till I get home ?

4. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

Try and limit it to 8 hours a day if possible. How late do you go to bed? I suppose if you turn the lights on at 5pm and the off again when you go to bed at, say....11pm or so....then the tank gets about 6 hours. It would help. or else at least turn them off right when you get home at 5. but you want to enjoy watching your fish right?! So that would be no fun....

I suggest leaving them off til you get home. Does the tank get any direct sunlight? Cuz that can add to the problem as well.

more frequent water changes can help as well....

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would invest in a timer so you can program to be on when you're home (but still not for more than 6-8 hours).

6. joiakimfish Member Member

Srry for the late reply got cought up with some stuff both of those ideas seem kool I may just use them both together ang get something to help keep future outbreaks

7. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Think those are diatoms.
    Often occure with low light.