Brown stuff on Dragon stone

Eaton

Hey I have some dragon stone that I bought from my LFS. When I got back I rinsed and scrubbed it in a bit in water, when I was scrubbing the stone this weird brown liquid came off it kind of like rust. Does anyone know what it could be and is it still safe to use?

carsonsgjs

I think thats fairly normal for dragon stone. Its quite a soft rock so you are likely just seeing lots of dust come off it.

Upvote 0

Eaton

also I think some clay between and in most of the cracks is that fine?

Upvote 0

carsonsgjs

also I think some clay between and in most of the cracks is that fine?
I think so. I have a few pieces in a fry tank and in the end i gave up trying to get it 100% clean because the more i scrubbed it seemed the worse it got!

Upvote 0

Mcostas

I soaked mine, then sprayed with hose and used skewers to dig out the big holes.

Then soaked again. Then used my waterpik and toothbrush to get the clay out of the little holes and tunnels and brush off the outside.

It was very messy, I did it outside. The pieces are back soaking again while my tank cycles. Now my big decision is how to arrange them.

Upvote 0

Marlene327

I just got dragon stones today to do a hardscape in my shrimp tank. WOW the clay in this thing, I've been scrubbing and picking it for 90 minutes. It's pretty large, about 11" long, and I wanted to clean up another smaller one as well. I just don't have the time or energy today for that one. I THINK I've gotten all the clay out of it, but what if I didn't? Some of those tunnels connect to others deep in the rock. Will it hurt my shrimp or their water? I have plants here I must get in the tank today too. My plan was to give my 40 gallon a good cleaning today, can hardly see through the glass anymore. Not sure I have the energy to do that, need to focus on this one now.

What do y'all think? Or as we say in Pittsburgh, what do yinz think? Safe to put in now, or should I soak it overnight and pick more tomorrow?

Upvote 0

Cue

I just got dragon stones today to do a hardscape in my shrimp tank. WOW the clay in this thing, I've been scrubbing and picking it for 90 minutes. It's pretty large, about 11" long, and I wanted to clean up another smaller one as well. I just don't have the time or energy today for that one. I THINK I've gotten all the clay out of it, but what if I didn't? Some of those tunnels connect to others deep in the rock. Will it hurt my shrimp or their water? I have plants here I must get in the tank today too. My plan was to give my 40 gallon a good cleaning today, can hardly see through the glass anymore. Not sure I have the energy to do that, need to focus on this one now.

What do y'all think? Or as we say in Pittsburgh, what do yinz think? Safe to put in now, or should I soak it overnight and pick more tomorrow?
I have some I only rinsed. So far, my gudgeons go in-and-out of the tunnels all the time and they’re completely fine. It hasn’t changed the water at all.
You can also drip vinegar on it to be sure it’s inert, if it fizzes it will probably affect some parameter.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
John58ford
  • Question
Replies
Views
Mustangjenni
Replies
Views