Brown String coming from soft corals Help 

chizz

Reaction score
Hi all,

We can typically figure out most problems but this time we’re stumped. We have been having this brown stringy stuff coming from all of our corals on pretty much a daily basis for like two weeks now and don’t know the solution.

We’ve read Zoox, but haven’t lost any coral color and also that it could just be pooping, but the extended period of it constantly intact seems off.

The Xenia has the most of it, but the elegance has really taken the biggest hit (mostly hiding during the days)
IMG_1673.JPG
IMG_1673.JPG

IMG_1679.JPG

IMG_1680.JPG

IMG_1675.JPG

Please advise!

Parameters:
pH - 8.1
Ammonia/ Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 8
Phosphate - 0

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have had them do this for short periods of time before. This is weird.
How long have you had the corals?
Did you upgrade your lights recently?
How long have you been keeping corals?
Do your hammer, elegance, and acans open up more than that? If you can take a picture of the corals fully expanded?
Are you sure it coming from all corals or just one and landing on the others?
Do you feed the corals? If so how often.

Does seem like the photosynthetic algae is being expelled from the corals.

Elegance corals are notorious for just fading away.

chizz

Reaction score
saltwater60 said:
I have had them do this for short periods of time before. This is weird.
Do your hammer, elegance, and acans open up more than that? If you can take a picture of the corals fully expanded?

Does seem like the photosynthetic algae is being expelled from the corals.

Elegance corals are notorious for just fading away.

Elegance - 4/5 months
Acans - 2/3 months
Torch - 4/5 months
Hammerheads - 4/5 months
Xenia - 2/3 months

We’ve used the same RS LED 90 since we got our E170 system - no additional hardware besides auto top off.

Started the system in August 2019, probably started corals in October.

IMG_1511.JPG

(Elegance fully expanded)

I can post a video of hammers if need be!

This is what we’re unsure about. In the morning, it seems fine but as the day progresses, more and more of it appears and we can’t really pinpoint the source. It just gets tangled throughout most corals, on the rocks and on the sand bed etc.

We don’t feed them directly.

Happy to provide any additional context!

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s weird. That elegance coral looks nice honestly.

I’d do a large water change and add a window screen on top to reduce light a bit and see if that helps.

I’d also check you calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium levels.
Also I forgot to point it out to you in my first response that you don’t just have soft corals that you have large polyped stony corals as well. Aka LPS corals and they build a skeleton.

Do you have a protein skimmer?

This is a tough one.

Look at night and during the day I see if there are any pests in the tank. A close look or a magnifying glass might help. That’s grasping at straws but worth a shot.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Any updates?

chizz

Reaction score
We did a 25% water change, changed carbon. Still the same if not worse. We removed the Xenia from the tank and this also did not help. No pests as far as we can see. We have a protein skimmer. We’re concerned we will start losing corals soon if things do not improve :(

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Are they losing any coloring at all? Are they taking food?

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
saltwater60 said:
Are they losing any coloring at all? Are they taking food?
Do you think it could be cyano, or dino's maybe? I'm thinking not dino's but just throwing it out there.
I wonder is it growing anywhere else in the tank or just exuding from the coral? IME cyano can "roll up" under flow and string out like that and it can appear reddish brown under different lighting...
I've always seen it advised not to use activated carbon in a reef tank unless you are removing meds because it can mess with water chemistry.
I'm at a loss but just thinking out loud and curious to see your outcome.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Magicpenny75 said:
Do you think it could be cyano, or dino's maybe? I'm thinking not dino's but just throwing it out there.
I wonder is it growing anywhere else in the tank or just exuding from the coral? IME cyano can "roll up" under flow and string out like that and it can appear reddish brown under different lighting...
I've always seen it advised not to use activated carbon in a reef tank unless you are removing meds because it can mess with water chemistry.
I'm at a loss but just thinking out loud and curious to see your outcome.
I thought of cyano as well but earlier pictures looked clear when they showed sand and rocks.
I do agree with you carbon isn’t normally recommend but I wonder if there is a chemical in there irritating corals.
I do agree if you’ve been running carbon ditch it and do a few water changes.
OP post an updated photo of the corals expanded and a full tank photo. Maybe we will catch something.

chizz

Reaction score
saltwater60 said:
I thought of cyano as well but earlier pictures looked clear when they showed sand and rocks.
I do agree with you carbon isn’t normally recommend but I wonder if there is a chemical in there irritating corals.
I do agree if you’ve been running carbon ditch it and do a few water changes.
OP post an updated photo of the corals expanded and a full tank photo. Maybe we will catch something.
No color loss and we don’t normally feed them and haven’t tried recently.

IMG_1709.JPG

IMG_1710.JPG

Just posted a YouTube video too, I would let it process first so you can see that there is actually some substance on the sand and in the rocks.

Thanks all!

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It looks like the beginning of cyano. What are your water params? Ca Alk Salinity pH? Have you tested for phosphate?
Cyano can be horrible to get rid of but easier to prevent and it looks to be pretty early on to me. I'd increase flow and maybe lose the carbon and run some Phosban or GFO if you have phosphates in the water.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree. It looks like it’s cyano coming from the sand bed. Try Boyd industries chemiclean.
cyano is a bacteria and a lot of people seem to think it’s algae.

that one acan on the rock seems like it’s getting blasted with flow and not opening all the way. I could be wrong.
Yes I agree with you corals look good and are not bleaching. It’s weird usually cyano doesn’t stay mild like that. I’d try the chemiclean and give the corals a bit of food here and there. They love Mysis shrimp and I love watching corals eat.

I agree after watching the video again it seems flow is lacking. I don’t see too much movement in corals tentacles. Also do the corals open more?
also I might have asked but do you have a protein skimmer?

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Also after looking at past photos to current photos it seems there is more cyano on the sand and rocks than in the past.
honestly cyano is a pain but it’s best case since it means your corals are likely healthy!!
I do agree with testing for what MP stated above. I’d add magnesium to that list since you have LPS corals.

chizz

Reaction score
saltwater60 said:
Also after looking at past photos to current photos it seems there is more cyano on the sand and rocks than in the past.
honestly cyano is a pain but it’s best case since it means your corals are likely healthy!!
I do agree with testing for what MP stated above. I’d add magnesium to that list since you have LPS corals.
Awesome this is all super helpful, after doing a bunch of extra research, we’ve committed to the Boyd chemiclean solution, so I’ll check back in a couple of days.

Thanks a million ️

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
MP was in on it too.
mom glad I followed up with you though.
Is that yellow mushroom a recording? If so it’s a beauty.

chizz

Reaction score
Update for everyone. After using Boyd the situation got much much worse. It’s now clear we are dealing with Dino. We will be basting all the rocks and manually removing as much as we can today. We are letting nutrients rise slightly and will be dosing with microbacter. Any tips are much appreciated. We fear we might start losing coral soon :(

The mushroom is a ricordia and surprisingly is thriving amidst the chaos.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads