brown spots on the glass

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I noticed today when i returned from class that there is a brown algea on my tank glass how do i take care of it my tank does sit next to the window and it is open sometimes (light and all) but how do i get rid of this algea and is it harmful if so should i move inari back into his small tank????

very paniced

brent

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
the algae is not harmful. my raspy has some in his tank which i am hoping at some point (when he feels better) to get some otos to take care of ...

Anyway, if i am remembering correctly, the brown algae is caused by too much light and green is from not enough ... (i think!) ;D

Don't panic, sweetie. No worries. Inari will be fine with it.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pretty much right but the Brown is from not enough light and the Green from too much. Otherwise good answer. Inari the problem you are having is probably what we are seeing in all the new tanks. For some reason all new tanks go through this. It is hard to look at but will not hurt anything. Just wipe it off or syphon the gravel to remove it if it bothers you.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Think about it this way in the summer most of the plants that are healthy are green the half dead ones are turning brown....idk maybe that will help also an issue with the gravel syphoning may not be that easy...Live plants some are trimmed down to the gravel....and my concern is that I would suck up nutrients for my hyrdas and crypts... any suggestions?
Brent

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Brown algea and plants

Yesterday I noticed that I have brown algea on the glass of my tank...*screams in panic* now my issue is that it is growing on my crypts and hyrdas my crypts are doing ok for the moment but my hydras are concerning me...I have had to start pruning them again. What worries me is that these plants that Inari loves soooooo much will die and i'll have to either replace them or get plastic ones any help?

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Re: Brown algea and plants

Its not really algae, its brown diatoms. Very common in new tanks. An oto will easily take care of the problem, or you can simply wipe it off with a clean cloth or even with your fingers. It will diminish in time and go away.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Re: Brown algea and plants

Yes this is the same "new tank syndrome" that we talked about earlier. My suggestion like Boxermom's, if you are really panicked about this is get a couple of Otos and they will make short work of them and they will be quite compatible with Inari.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well i would but like i said I promised my finacee that when she comes back we would go get some tank mates for Inari until then i'm stuck....any other ideas....

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
also today i went to my lfs and got a magnetic glass cleaner it works beautifully except on the cornors dang it but its fun 'cause Inari likes to hang out in the front and watch me but when i put that in there he tried to attack it while it move around so once this algea issue is under control he can have fun playing with it

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sounds like you are doing all you can. Just stop worrying so much okay? It really is okay, I promise. It will stop when the silicates in the tank are gone and you have a couple little Otos or something in there to clean up. You will be amaze how fast they can clean up, I promise. It is even kind of fun to watch them.

I promise this is not going to hurt the plants or Inari.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
well it sure looks like it is trying to take out my hydras which i would really hate because i have no way of getting back to the LFS that i went to... and Inari loves a couple of them tho they will be his only company for a while....i had to return Hydra 'cause she kept trying to climb up the filter intake and then there is still the MIA Kappa God only knows what happened to his adventurous little soul..........thanx for the advise

btw I was told that algea removes would most likely kill my hydras and crypts any experience with this????

thanx

brent

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, most algae removers will indeed kill or at least stunt or really make the plants look very bad and most of them will die. They are not meant for tanks with fish either.
There are a couple of algae removers made for tanks with plants and fish but they are for green, red, and blue/green algae.  Brown "algae" is not really algae, it is diatoms.  Diatoms grow where there is a silicate food source or not enough light.  Since your tank is new I am betting on the silicate food source.  When they have eaten the silicates the diatoms will die out.  The easiest and cheapest solution to the problem is a couple of Otos.  BUT once you get the Otos do not even think of using a salt solution, algae remover or any medication containing Malachite Green.  It will burn them as they are scaleless.  It does the same thing to crustaceans (snails, shrimp, crabs, clams).  You may be able to get by with salt with the crustaceans but not the other things.  It will tell you right on the containers. 

If your fiance is coming to go with you to buy tankmates then hope she comes and you can go get some Otos and get the Brown Diatoms eaten.  They feed on them and it is their favorite food.  They eat mostly at night so you will go to sleep at night and when you get up each morning, you will be surprised at their progress and before too many days have gone by the diatoms will be gone.  Then you will need to put a half algae wafer in the tank at night before bed so they can nosh on it. 

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok well the brown algea didn't show up today at all last night i did a scheduled 25% water change just because well it was friday and that is when i plan to do the extreme tank maintance like water changes tho Inari doesn't really like me right now i've had to change his water three times this week and he hates water changes lol anyway as of right now don't worry about the shrimp i had to return her she was trying to get out one night so i put the lid on and covered that holes in my lid and return her until i can replace the plastic part and when my Finacee comes and we get some little play mates of Inari
thanx for the advise

brent

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom