Brown spot on sword leafs

1. DrSahl

DrSahl Valued Member Member

I've tried to put this with another question in the general, but I guess this belongs here.

I've set up a new 50 gallon tank and I got 4 different plants in it.
    Echinodorus Palaefolius
    Vesicularia Dubyana
    Myriophyllum mattogrossense
    Lilaeopsis brasiliensis

All plants beside the Sword seems to be doing fine, I am using root tabs for the bigger plants and normal "all in one" liquid fert with co2.

I will provide a picture of the leafs that are hurt.. I wonder if this is because its a newly started tank ? its been up for 4 days. I've used bacteria products to make the cycle process faster, there are no fish in it yet and the lights run for 6 hours atm. (maybe I should up it? due to Brasiliensis?) I will up it to 8-10 hours when fish is added.

Any advice would be nice, also should I trim the leafs on the swords if they go out of the water ? (they don't yet but most certainly will soon) how is that done?

Ty in advance, here is the pictures

[​IMG]

2. h

happyfins14 Valued Member Member

I would probably up it... The leaves look like they'll make it; I wouldn't trim them. If it gets worse check the parameters and see if the plant is affecting them.

It should be fine :)

3. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Lots of Swords are commercialy grown emersed. They have to adapt to the emersed situation. Often the drop old (emersed) leaves and will show new (different shaped) leaves after some time.

4. OP
    OP
    DrSahl

Ty for the reply. I guess they will do allright then. Its not gotten much worse over the weekend and it seems only 1 is really affected by it. the rest of the plants look ok so far, I might need to up my light time abit soon for the "grass"

5. DoubleDutch

I meand to say the have to adapt to the SUBmersed situation. Think you did understand that !!!! Patience !

6. OP
    OP
    DrSahl

Ye I understood perfectly :D they will do fine in time. I was thinking about upping the light time for Lilaeopsis. as I said not all of the swords are affected, so it seems logical that you are right about the "have to adapt to submersed state"

Ty for the answer btw.

7. DoubleDutch

No problem !