Brown Specs on Heater

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Nightfish1513, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Nightfish1513

Nightfish1513 Valued Member Member

About a week ago I starting to notice these brown moving specs on my heater and on the sides of it too. Its creeping me out and I want to know what are these things and are they a danger to my betta's health what so ever IMG_2141.jpg IMG_2142.jpg

2. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Do you have any snails in his tank or put new plants in?

3. WaterSpirit

WaterSpirit Valued Member Member

It could possibly be some sort of algae, like brown algae. It will not pose a problem to your Betta right now, but you should probably remove it so that it doesn't spread. I tried searching for similar pictures on the web and couldn't find anything similar to this.

You may also want to consider that it could be an indication that something is wrong with your heater. If it isn't anything else, I would say get a new heater; you wouldn't want your heater leaking anything into your tank; it could be your heater overheating, cracking and then being filled with aquarium water and then leaking back out into your tank which could result in you or you Betta getting shocked.

Best of luck to you!

4. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

He/she said the specks where moving so that makes me think baby snails

5. WaterSpirit

WaterSpirit Valued Member Member

That's what I thought too. All the pictures I looked at of freshwater snail eggs don't seem to look like that though. If it's not algae or heater problems, then I would definitely say they are probably some type of egg from something introduced to the tank from the plants (if the plants are live plants)....we need more info! lol

6. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I'm thinking baby snails too! Could have been pond snails hitchhiking on something -
    Try and get a closer look with a magnifying glass if you can -

7. OP
    OP
    Nightfish1513

No I don't have any snails, I have been to buy some. But I do have live plants but I had them for a few months now

8. OP
    OP
    Nightfish1513

Well the move sometimes, you have to look really close some of then are white as well.

9. OP
    OP
    Nightfish1513

I don't have a magnifying glass to look through, but how can it be snail eggs? I have had these plants for months. The one thing that may be new is my little roman temple, but I had had it for a while now

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice