brown scum in my tank

kevin1786

Reaction score
I've had my tank for 6 weeks now and I keep getting this brown scum on all the ornaments. Can someone tell me what this is and how to get rid of it. I have a 60L tank with 3 guppies, 5 neon tetras, 2 dwarf gwarmis, 2 corydoras. I'm useing a tetra tec easy crystal filter box 300 and my tank light is on for about 5 hours in the evening. Can anyone help. Thanks

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those are probably diatoms. most new tanks go through this stage. If my conversion is correct that is a 15 gallon tank and its a little over stocked. Do you have a water test kit yet? If not you can get a coupon on from petsmart for the aquarium pharmaceuticals liquid testing kits. They are great. If you have a kit could you tell us what your water test readings are ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates)
Welcome to FishLore. Stop by the welcome forum and let us welcome you properly
Carol

Eskielvr

Reaction score
Butterfly, could you give me more info on Diatoms? Are they beneficial/desired? Does it indicate anything regarding the cycle? You probably remember my posts about my 5 gallon not cycling. I'm finally starting to notice a lot of brown stuff appear on the decoration and gravel, but just thought it was algae. My tank is still trying to cycle with high ammonia levels.

OP
K

kevin1786

Reaction score
I have a 5 in 1 test kit and the readings are as follows. NO3 - 15mg, NO2 - 0mg, GH - 6, KH - 3 and PH - 7

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kevin1786 said:
I have a 5 in 1 test kit and the readings are as follows. NO3 - 15mg, NO2 - 0mg, GH - 6, KH - 3 and PH - 7
They're convenient, but the test strips have a reputation for not giving the most accurate results a lot of times and that test isn't giving you ammonia (NH3/NH4+). A lot of fishlore members use the API master test kit (freshwater) that Butterfly mentioned: . For the NO3 (nitrates) and NO2 (nitrites), it should be giving you ppm rather than mg. If those results are accurate, you might have a 0ppm for ammonia & have a cycled tank.

- a little info on diatoms.

OP
K

kevin1786

Reaction score
I do have a NH3/NH4 test kit it's about 0 - 0.25mg/l over a two week period (between water chages). Thanks for the info guys.

New Threads