Brown Sand

1. sek1958 Initiate Member

My sand has started turning brown in areas. Is this a problem, or natural?

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to the forum

How new is your tank?

3. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore.

A dirt brown color sounds like it may be diatoms, a common form of algae. It will go away on its own, eventually.

:;fIf you wouldn't mind, please provide complete Aquarium Profile Information. This information will help the members to gain an understanding of your tank. Just click the My Settings button at the top of this page, and select Edit Aquarium Info. Complete the information on your aquarium, including tank size, filtration, stocking, lighting, water parameters, etc. And save your changes. Then you won't be inundated with answering questions about your tank.

4. sek1958 Initiate Member

Very new. 6 weeks. I'm also a first time Salt tank owner.

5. sek1958 Initiate Member

I have added my tank data. thank you for you help.

With regards,
    sek1958

6. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Hi sek1958 - sounds like brown diatoms possibly from the water used to fill the tank. Normally see that when not using RO/DI water. No protein skimmer will make algae control problems harder. Yellow tangs get too big for a 29 gallon and they need a lot of swimming space.

7. sek1958 Initiate Member

What size tank do you recomend for the Tangs? 50 gal? I did install a protein skimmer and I clean it out daily.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

8. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

The often accepted bare minimum for a Tang is 3 foot tank x 1.5 foot wide, and 1.5ft high - or 50+ gallons. The FL profile states 55G as a minimum.

Preferably, most would suggest 4x2x2, or around 115G. Tangs are very active and like to 'stretch their fins'. the longer the tank, the better. :)

And yes - the brownish colouring is most likely diatoms, and will disappear on its own as the tank matures along with good husbandry (water changes).

9. Stang Man Well Known Member Member

Ahh but depends on the species and what goes in with them!! This has alot to do with size. Not all tangs grow the same size some grow very large and others grow medium size and yes there are some that grow smaller in size. 50 would be the right size for those that grow in the smaller size. Study them and get the actual growth sizes you will see what I mean.

10. sek1958 Initiate Member

Thank you!