Brown... Residue?

1. Remmy Member Member

I've noticed this strange brown... stuff all over my hardscape and plants in my 15 gal Fluval Flex. It's getting worse each day! It was covering one of my Amazon Sword's entire leaf so I cut it off but when I got home today I noticed the brown stuff on my big rock so it wasn't the leaf. I'm so confused what this could be??? It's on my rocks, my fake plants and my real plants!!!

Attached Files:

2. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Looks like algae.

3. grantm91 Well Known Member Member

Its diatoms you can rub it off the leaf and scrub it off the rocks, how long has the tank been up and running?

4. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Diatoms. How long are you running the lights for and did you use silica sand?

5. Remmy Member Member

It's been running for about 2 months. I turn the light on when I leave for work at 8:00 and turn them off around 6:30-7:00.

I'm going to try and use a clean sponge and scrub it off the stuff, see if that helps like someone previously posted.

Oh, and I use black gravel not sand in this tank.

6. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

So you leave them 10-12 hours? Thats way too long. I start to get algae in my tanks after 8 hours. Probably the reason why you are getting so much algae. It may not be the only reason but it is definitely helping algae.

7. Corine Well Known Member Member

Most definitely diatoms then. Rub off if if bothers you, but it should clear up in time.

8. Kody Grieve Member Member

yup, brown diatoms. they say that they disappear naturally over time but from experience, i have found this is not the case. diatoms, unlike green algae, feed off silicates in the tank water. if the diatoms get really bad or if you just want to get rid of them then there are products out there to remove silicates/phosphates from your tank water. other than that they're harmless and you have nothing to worry about :)

9. popsikle Initiate Member

some otto cats will make short work of them diatoms...

10. jmaldo Well Known Member Member

Welcome to diatoms. It happens to most new tanks. I woke up one morning and saw my tank and thought "Oh No". As mentioned you just rub it off then do a water change. It will eventually go away.