Brown Recluses all over my house...would I be able to call an exterminator....

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
...and have aquariums at the same time? I hear that they use a lot of volatile chemicals that "bomb" the entire house.

I don't know how I would remove my aquariums to do that in my situation.

Lunas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do you have a garage if so bomb the garage first then move aquariums there then bomb the house. You could move all the fish and filters into temp containers and cover the aquariums in plastic wrap and tape to seal them while the house is bombed.

Tonia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would follow Luna's suggestion, and if the tank is too big, cover it well, I always used towels over the top, then the bags to ensure nothing got in. By doing this, I was able to leave the fish in the tank for the couple of hours that were needed for bombing.. if you are doing something major that requires you to be gone, definitely find a way to temporarily house the fish. If you are bombing, then they should be ok with the filters off for a few hours, don't want to have an air pump blowing chemicals into your tank.

I lived in apartments when I was younger and always had to bomb due to roaches and fleas (was in Texas and no matter where you went, they could be a problem)

Hope that helps, but either way, you really need to make sure you get rid of those nasty spiders, don't want to risk getting bitten, that would be terrible.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

A link that may help you:

Ken

JamesCain80

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree with Lunas, you need to get rid of the spiders. The brown recluse is a reckoning of its own. If you have any kids or other animals it wouldn't be a good day for either. When I was in Afghanistan, we had to deal with them. We had to send a lot of soldiers home because of a brown recluse bite. I am praying for and wish you the best of luck dealing with this.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Great information in the links Ken gave.

Basically, thoroughly cover all the tanks. Trash bags and duct tape work well.
For added protection, I put blankets over that.
Turn off the filters and air pumps.

I would caution you about trying to handle this on your own and do more research

I watched a special on this a couple of years ago.
Sorry, don't remember what channel or all the details.

If I remember correctly, the brown recluse can detect vibrations in the air.
Once the bug bomb goes off, they sense the poison and simply move to another room before the contents of the bomb hit them.
Something like that.

Good luck!

wisecrackerz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Not to hijack, but every time I go to the "new post" list, and see this thread on there, i get the willies. I'm not a big spider fan, and brown recluses especially freak me out. good luck dealing with this; I would be a gibbering mess. Good advice above on tank prep; I hope you get the problem dealt with quickly and safely.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Some good news about the brown recluse: They typically don't like to be in areas that people would be. It sounds like something caused a pretty bad infestation, but if you deal with the larger infestation, you shouldn't have to worry about them coming back into the main parts of the home. They prefer to be in crawl-spaces and areas that don't have large animals (us) walking through them.

I would definitely get a professional. In addition to what Lucy said, spiders generally don't die from contact with poison (walking over it) like many insects do. They need to be coated, or to inhale the stuff, and professionals (should) know how to saturate a home.

And then, yeah, if you can move your tanks while the home is being bombed, that would be best. If not, hermetically seal the tanks for the duration of the bombing (turn off filters and air pumps, because they will introduce air from outside the tank), and only open them once the house is safe for humans. I would also run some fresh AC in the filters, even if you don't normally use it. Because I'm paranoid, I would probably change it out every day for a few days, just to be sure there wasn't anything nasty in the tank.

k8XP

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
;:barf

I'd be out of there faster than if I thought I heard a DEMON. So, my advice would have to be - move. Get out of there haha.

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wow, thanks for all the advice everyone. Can't believe I got so many responses.

I live near Memphis TN in a semi-rural area... so they are very common pests. I mostly see them in my hallway which has the ladder to my attic in the ceiling. This is where I assume they are coming from. I didn't really care until I saw one in my bedroom about a foot from my bed. That was the last straw. I'm going to have to do something.

tnfishkeeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Re: Brown Recluses all over my house...would I be able to call an exterminator?

I live in north Memphis and I see them EVERYWHERE!

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
tnfishkeeper said:
I live in north Memphis and I see them EVERYWHERE!
Yes they are very bad in this part of the country. To the point where they are probably over tolerated. Everyone fears Black Widows, but the reality about Widows is that they are mostly up in a corner in a web for the majority of their life out of your way, but Brown Recluses are roamer hunters that go all over the place at night and get in your clothes and belongings. I believe they reproduce much faster than any other poisonous spider as well.

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was wondering about Eucalyptus? There is evidence of it having insect/spider repelling properties. Could this be a good excuse to splurge on some Yankee Candle Wax tarts?

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Another bit about brown recluse spiders that may be important. If you're seeing them everywhere, it's also quite possible that they aren't brown recluse spiders at all (though again, it could be that something caused a surge of them in your attic, which would then cause them to seek more space). The violin pattern is not unique to them, and they really don't like being out in the open (thus, the name "recluse"). Unlike most spiders, brown recluse spiders have six eyes split into three pairs. It's pretty obvious if you're willing to get close to one, particularly if you've got a magnifying glass.

And yeah, eucalyptus may deter them from areas you don't want them in. Just make sure that whatever you use has real eucalyptus oil, rather than artificial eucalyptus scent. Leaves would be great. Spritzing a bit of the oil into the air could help, too.

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
sirdarksol said:
Another bit about brown recluse spiders that may be important. If you're seeing them everywhere, it's also quite possible that they aren't brown recluse spiders at all (though again, it could be that something caused a surge of them in your attic, which would then cause them to seek more space). The violin pattern is not unique to them, and they really don't like being out in the open (thus, the name "recluse"). Unlike most spiders, brown recluse spiders have six eyes split into three pairs. It's pretty obvious if you're willing to get close to one, particularly if you've got a magnifying glass.

And yeah, eucalyptus may deter them from areas you don't want them in. Just make sure that whatever you use has real eucalyptus oil, rather than artificial eucalyptus scent. Leaves would be great. Spritzing a bit of the oil into the air could help, too.
They are definitely brown recluses. Also do you know where I could buy a eucalyptus oil spray?

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
BigOlePappy said:
They are definitely brown recluses. Also do you know where I could buy a eucalyptus oil spray?
You can probably find eucalyptus oil at a natural health store, or at a co-op.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom