brown patches on sand

1. woolley90 Member Member

the sand in my tank is goin a brownish colur in patches what is this and is there anything i can do bout it

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Im not a salty person but the tanks so new, could it be diatoms? if so, it goes away in time as the tank matures...if its not, im sure other salty members can offer more info

3. zeeter Well Known Member Member

I just read about this not even ten minutes ago. If it's a new setup sometimes there will be brown "silt" on the sand after a while. It is supposed to go away just as quickly as it appeared and is not a problem. If it's not a new tank then I have no idea.

4. woolley90 Member Member

cheers for that hopefully shoud go away soon.

5. waggers Initiate Member

iv'e just noticed the same thing happening in my tank today ,mines be running for about two and a half weeks.good to know its not just mine.

6. ATP Well Known Member Member

It's called diatoms. It's algae that usually grows on new tanks as it cycles and sometime on mature tanks.

7. reefdude Member Member

Yes it's diatoms and tends to happen in most tanks, new and mature. You can combat it by addidng a diamond goby or other sand sifter to keep the sand clean (providing your tank is large enough). Also, your can turn the sand gently and some nassarius snails will take care of it.:;2cents

8. woolley90 Member Member

cheers ill look in to it

9. locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

Keep in mind that not enough water movement inside the tank will also cause this. If it's low water movement it will not go away it will only get worse till. Easy solution though, just add power heads, that will make it go away in matter of days (2-4 days).

10. charzar-g Well Known Member Member

my sand has this troubel all the time, and my cleaner shrimp has the rest of the tank to clean without having all this trouble to look after, I've never heard of a diamond goby, but i may look into one if i like the look of it, thanks reefdude