Brown(not Black)water Set Up

Guppygirl88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 10g with a pair of green swordtails and two pair of green cories I want to do a small Biotope for them sticks,leaves some java. What I don't want is to end up with a tank that looks like(smells) the bucket that got left out in the yard all winter so I guess I have a couple of questions-is there a "clean"way to do this or is my tank too small to do this and how expensive would it be?(nothing about fishkeeping is EVER cheap)

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You could add a piece of driftwood that should give your water a good tea color or try a few indian almond leaves i've heard enough of them should stain the water a bit. i believe mopani wood will leech off a good amount of tannins to change the water color and its completely safe be sure its for aquarium use. just give it a rinse in a bucket with some hot hot hot water running over it for a bit to kill off anything. it may float till it becomes totally water logged which will probably take a few days to a week maybe more depending on the size piece u get. Good luck!!

Guppygirl88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could add a piece of driftwood that should give your water a good tea color or try a few indian almond leaves i've heard enough of them should stain the water a bit. i believe mopani wood will leech off a good amount of tannins to change the water color and its completely safe be sure its for aquarium use. just give it a rinse in a bucket with some hot hot hot water running over it for a bit to kill off anything. it may float till it becomes totally water logged which will probably take a few days to a week maybe more depending on the size piece u get. Good luck!!
Thanks great idea I'm off to LFS

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 21 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 54 65.9%

Top Bottom